Reviews for Get It Right, by Skye Kilaen

qace90's review

I received an early copy from the author. This in no way influences my review; all words, thoughts and opinions are my own.

This is such a cute, sweet contemporary f/f romance and I highly recommend picking it up when it comes out! Skye does a phenomenal job at sweet and romantic while also having enough tension to keep the story moving. I really enjoyed this and hope many more will as well!!

esotericelixir's review

Get It Right was a sweet f/f romance novella between a butch lesbian parole and a pretty, curvaceous nurse.

The author provides content warnings at the beginning of the book (which is greatly appreciated!), these include but aren't limited to): reflection on negative prison experiences including delay of medical care, housing insecurity and prospect of living with homophobic parents, unintended pregnancy (and surrounding discussions)

The amount of rep in this book was beautiful and it didn't feel forced one bit. At first I was a bit concerned over whether the relationship between two people who originally met while one was in prison and the other was their nurse would feel predatory however Kilaen managed to cover this off with enough time and awareness between the characters to make it work.

I really enjoyed the romance and thought the way the characters treated each other was very sweet. I'm definitely interested in reading further works from Kilean.

Thank you to the author for providing an advance review copy in exchange for an honest review.

joharis's review

Arc provided by the author in exchange of an honest review

This is a very cute and short contemporary story about a butch girl that just got out of prison and a nurse she had feelings for during her prison days. While the story had a lot of cute moments and did a great job with a fat character and talking in broad terms about the Inhumanitys committed in prison, I felt like the romance lacked chemistry between the characters. I know it's a short story but when they confessed their feelings for each other, it felt too soon for me.

It was a story that made me smile and would recommend if you want something short and sweet.

YouTube

Instagram

Twitter

sapphirebubble_'s review

This is a novella that tells the story of Finn, who has just been released from prison. She deals with chronic migraines and used to volunteer at the prison clinic which is how she met Vivi, a nurse who worked there. Finn had feelings for Vivi but it was the wrong place, wrong time and the power dynamics might have put her in a bad position; but she bumps into Vivi after she is out and sparks don’t exactly fly.

I liked the story but there were some inconsistency issues. It gave us too many details at certain points and not enough at others. The characters were well developed but since their attraction to each other was cemented off-page, I didn’t get the gratification I expected from this romance. I liked the fact that Vivi is fat, but at the same time it felt like Finn constantly talks about how beautiful and hot Vivi is because of that fatness that it almost seemed fetish-y to me. Although I am sure that was not the intent, it seemed similar to the rhetoric of “you can be beautiful in spite of your fatness” to me. But it was a cute little story nonetheless, it was very queer and heartwarming which definitely upped my enjoyment factor.

I was provided an e-ARC by the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

Find me elsewhere: Blog | BookTube | Instagram | Twitter | The Story Graph

roomforbooks's review

CWs: listed at the beginning of the book
Rep: w|w, lesbian mc, pan mc, side characters in a polyamory relationship

dany_ambivertwords's review

emotional lighthearted mysterious relaxing slow-paced

Pan girl who loves Makeup & Butch girl??? Existing in the same book??? Being love interests??! With a star crossed lovers trope??? Yes

I was supposed to buddy read this with Shruti but she ended up finishing before me .The story was good but the writing lacked angst. I found myself drifting off and not really invested in the romance.

I received this ARC from the author and all the opinions are mine.

otterpebbles's review

hopeful inspiring medium-paced

I loved this! The characters were so well fleshed out and their relationship was an absolute joy. The whole story was packed full of warmth and thoughtfulness throughout, and I liked how the story took care with issues and themes, to address things even within a novella length book. The whole ensemble of side characters were fabulous too, and I cannot wait to read the future instalments in the series.

aebross's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

Note: I was given a complimentary copy of this work in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly, I fell in love with this novella when I first saw the description, so when given the opportunity to give it an advanced review, I jumped at it.

We begin our story with Finn, a migraine-suffering butch lesbian fresh on parole from a prison sentence for crimes that most of us might find less a crime and more a civic duty (but no spoilers). She's trying to get her life back in order, and before anything else, that means getting her chronic migraines under control. I feel this aspect so hard, as a former chronic migraine sufferer myself, so I instantly felt a kinship with Finn that only strengthened throughout the length of the novella.

And thus we stumble into the way of Vivienne Curiel, nurse, fighter of the good fight, and lover of manicures. Known as Vivi to her friends, she and Finn knew each other when Vivi was the prison nurse and Finn signed up for work in the hospital/medical wing as often as she could just to be near her. This was Vivi, who Finn had been head over heels for.

You can imagine that this presents an opportunity for Finn. Perhaps also an opportunity for Vivi. But things aren't always simple, and between her own emotions, Vivi's, and everyone else that's looking on to see Finn get her life back on track, it's a challenge for these two (adorable, I have to say) characters to make it work.

I really enjoyed this read. I would go as far as saying that I loved this read. Finn and Vivi were likeable, and more importantly, they felt real and flawed. Add to that the rich texture of the families around them, supporting them (sometimes in their own flawed ways), and this story feels deeper than most novellas in the exploration of how important others are to us.

Also, this novella took me by surprise when I finished it and felt a sense of completion. I know, this sounds silly, but so many of the novellas I read leave me saying, "The author should have gone in deeper here and here" or something along those lines. In this instance, I honestly felt that Kilaen had just the right balance, and while there's certainly room for sequels and continuation, there was still a delightful and content sense of closure that really left me feeling all warm and cozy.

judeinthestars's review

I think I have to start by saying how much I enjoyed reading a story with real diverse characters. One of the mains is a butch lesbian, the other is pan, secondary characters are bisexual, straight, whatever. None of it feels forced, it’s all normal. Which doesn’t mean they aren’t confronted to homophobia and such, but the characters themselves fit very organically in the story. And that, in itself, is exciting.

That’s not all that’s exciting about this novella, however. Get It Right is a very sweet second-chance romance. Finn met Vivi in prison. Finn was doing time for felony theft and Vivi was the nurse making sure inmates were treated correctly. Because of that context, nothing could happen between them. Then Vivi disappeared from Finn’s life. A few months later, Finn gets out on parole, but without a job or income, has to rely on her cousin’s generosity and his stepsister’s couch. She doesn’t want to outstay her welcome but no way is she going back to her parents’. The last person she expects to meet at the clinic where she’s trying to get her migraine medication is Vivi. At first, Vivi doesn’t seem sure about rekindling their friendship (or is it more?) and Finn wants to respect her boundaries. Except Vivi really seems to need a friend (or more?).

Kilaen (whom you may know as a reviewer here on Goodreads) never romanticizes jail nor the difficulties faced by Finn once she gets out. Finn’s conviction is not minimized either and Finn doesn’t try to justify it. Her time in prison is part of who she is now, as much as the migraines she gets. That’s another thing I liked, the way chronic illness and its consequences on one’s daily life are acknowledged.

I loved Finn and Vivi, they’re both sweet in different ways. I even loved their difficulties to communicate, they make a lot of sense in their situation. I also liked the secondary characters a lot, from Hollis (Finn’s cousin) to Nora (Vivi’s sister) and her boyfriend Will. There’s a prequel about these two, and even though I don’t usually enjoy m/f romance, I really want to read it. I also missed Skye Kilaen’s debut, [b:Glorious Day|53904453|Glorious Day|Skye Kilaen|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1594561803l/53904453._SY75_.jpg|84254420], last summer, so that’s another story to look forward to.

I received a copy from the publisher and I am voluntarily leaving a review.

stegbornblixt's review

hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

Arc received in exchange for an honest review

This was so cute. I loved the realism (meaning, the world is a dumpster fire) and defiant hopefulness (meaning, the dumpster fire is full of queers insisting on finding ways to be happy in spite of it all) of this story.

The romance was really sweet and focused on... well, romance. Meaning, the sexual tension took a back seat, and it did so in a way that really worked for me. Often in romances I need the sexual tension to be really amped up because if they just met or are just falling for each other the intense emotions often don't make sense to me from a purely romantic perspective - like, how are these characters comfortable saying they love each other when they just met? But here, they've known each other for a while, spent lots of time together and are now finally able to explore their attraction to each other. So when they proclaim their love and are so sure about it, I buy it. Because the story shows that they put in the time to get to know each other.

Get it right is very much a feel-good kind of read. There's not a lot of twists and turns, or conflicts that you're not introduced to from the beginning. It's a very low-stress kind of plot - which might be why I appreciated it so much right now... it's soothing. The writing was also enjoyable - it flowed well without trying too hard, if that makes sense.

The author did include an extensive list of content warnings at the beginning of the book, which I love seeing. Those are also available here: https://www.skyewritesromance.com/boo...

Also, the preview of the next installment in the series? Yes. Flawless. Give it to me now. I think I could enjoy that one even more, honestly.