Alias, Vol. 2: Come Home, by Brian Michael Bendis, Michael Gaydos, Mark Bagley

larreads's review

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

booknooknoggin's review

I noticed that the people who are not traditional comics readers just didn't seem to enjoy this. I like the fact that this centers on Marvel superhero issues and I can see how they changed this story for the Netflix series. I'd say if you are a superhero fan you will enjoy this series. If you are a casual reader just wanting to pick this up because Jessica Jones is trendy you may be disappointed.

Taking place in a fictional town in Upstate New York, and looking for a young girl who has disappeared Jessica sees just how prejudiced people can be against those with powers. I really enjoyed this volume and I hope to read more of it in the near future.

shaunhamill's review

A much better volume than the first. Solid storytelling and great character work from one of the great pop writers of our day. I'm not crazy about the art, but that's just personal taste.

wetdryvac's review

Liked this better than volume one. Still a bit odd where the only background I have is the TV show, but still. Not bad.

frickative's review

I didn't enjoy this quite as much as the first volume, but as the shorter of the two, there's less to sink your teeth into. I'm always a sucker for a small-town crime story, which Jessica here enters to locate a missing girl, but the stakes never reach the same heights as in the first volume. Bendis does an excellent job with her characterisation, enriching and elaborating with every page, and the art-work remains gorgeous. Perhaps I'm partly at fault for tearing through it so quickly, but it certainly hasn't put me off diving straight into volume three.

brinocheeze's review

OOOOOO this was awesome.

I definitely enjoyed this a lot more than the first one. We learn Jessica Jones' story, we get introduced to her human form of a headache, and we are given a cliffhanger ended.
I love the illustrations and colors. I really enjoy when the illustrations change when we're inside Jessica's mind.
I can't wait to pick up Vol. 3

francomega's review

Smaller story arc following Jessica on a case to find a missing girl. But that's what this series is about. Bonus: a blind date with Ant-Man. Bendis is a really good comics writer.

amyjoy's review

3.5 stars

This volume focused more on Jessica's regular life as detective, rather than her superhero ties. For the most part, she was just out being a regular person with a job, and it was nice.

I really like the way they use so many moment-to-moment panels. It feels very cinematic and allows the reader to focus on the characters and the conversation.

I felt like there were some typos and editing errors that were a little distracting, unfortunately.

misssusan's review

this keyed things down from the first volume and i liked it better for it. speaking from my, y'know, incredibly vast two volume experience with jessica jones, i think the point of her is that she works in the ordinary and every day so the plot of this volume vibed better with that than the conspiracy stuff in volume 1

4 stars

ninjamuse's review

In brief: Jessica Jones, cynical alcoholic P.I., not a superhero, on a case to find a missing girl.

Thoughts: Liked it. Not absolutely blown away like I remember being for the first volume (it’s been a while), but the writing’s solid and the art is great and the story held me. The issues it tackles, and the people we run into on the investigation, are as nasty as expected and … yeah, pretty much just enjoying how realistic this series feels compared to some other comics I’ve read.

7/10