Reviews tagging Toxic relationship

It's in His Kiss: Bridgerton, by Julia Quinn

embla_v's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted

Detta är en fantastisk historisk romans i Brigerton serien, som jag rekommenderar varmt, skriven av Julia Quinn.

Boken handlar om Hyacinth, yngst av Brigerton syskonen, och om Gareth, som får en gammal dagbok som tillhörde hans farmor. Det finns dock ett problem dagboken är skriven på italienska, ett språk som Gareth inte förstår. Men en ung dam vid namn Hyacinth Brigerton, en kär vän till Gareths mormor, översätter den gärna åt honom.

Rekommenderar verkligen att läsa Brigerton serien. Skulle dock vilja säga att det är bra att läsa böckerna i rätt ordning. Men oerhört underhållande läsning.

beatriks's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful mysterious reflective medium-paced

This is the second last sibling and I still enjoy it, even if things get slightly repetitive. It’s  Julia Quinn’s accomplishment that the characters differ from each other. Hyacinth comes to life quite quickly and her character is interesting and nuanced.

That is the main reason I love the books. For this part of the series, I do appreciate a twisted parental relationship and family secrets.

katiefronk's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

readwithde's review against another edition

adventurous emotional lighthearted medium-paced

After reading earlier Bridgerton books, I was not looking forward to reading Hyacinth's, as she is often very annoying without much context to absolve her. I was pleasantly surprised that she is much less irritating in her own book, though still headstrong and opinionated.

As with Eloise's story, the narrative felt focused on the male MC's issues while the female was along for the ride to help him. Hyacinth has a bit more backbone than Eloise, but it still read like Gareth's story, not hers.

I liked Gareth for most of the book, but
Spoiler I can't condone that he set out to seduce Hyacinth to ensure she had to stay in the engagement and marry him.
Although he adequately apologized, and although it didn't matter much in the long run, I don't think it's that easily excusable.

The plotline involving them searching for the jewels was very promising, but
Spoiler it fizzled out, being replaced by emotions, some steam, and a few arguments. I wanted them to find the diamonds, and it disappointed me too have the book end without Hyacinth's victory.

Overall, it was a bit slow for the first half, followed by lots of steam, fights, and distraction, then ending without warning. Worth the read, but not the best Bridgerton book.

andmaggie's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced