A Hologram for the King, by Dave Eggers

grrrlfriday's review against another edition

This book was a pleasure to read in more ways than one, not only because it was interesting, but also because of the incredible book cover and quality printing job done by a small company in Michigan, which actually ties into the narrative of the story in a very clever and meaningful way. Just holding the book and turning its pages was a pleasant experience. I read a review that called this novel the "Death of a Salesman" for the current era, and found that to be a very apt description. The shifting landscape of the U.S. economic future, the rise of manufacturing and technological ingenuity of other countries and even the increasing feeling of helplessness and lack of viability in American men were all touched upon. If I had been able to relate to the characters a tad more, or if there had been more creative descriptive language I would have given it four stars.

micklesreads's review against another edition

So, it wasn't bad. It was painfully awkward at times, and Alan isn't exactly super-relatable, but I got through it pretty quickly and was entertained.

lyfaster's review against another edition

This book was sad, it was morbidly depressing, and the delivery was incredibly dry and miserable.
And yet, it was absolutely amazing.

Marketed off as a "Who we are and how we got there"; this book can almost be compared to as a hybrid between a memoir and a satire that (as I interpreted it) effectively calls out the country taking the easy road to economic malfunction.

Bravo to Eggers for crafting an incredibly well-written, well-told, and compelling story that does in fact remind us that there is a sliver of hope for the country in the grand scheme of things...

-Lyf-

cristyd's review against another edition

I don't regret reading it, but it's my least favorite Dave Eggers book by far.

harmonk's review against another edition

Great idea characters not compelling and relationships not developed enough for me to care.

abetterbradley's review against another edition

I'm one of the rare few that feels that Dave Eggers isn't as good as his hype. For me, his stuff is always it or miss. In the case of A Hologram For The King, he has a hit.

The book is about a guy trying to rebuild his shattered life by one last ditch effort to impress a Saudi king and win a contract for a fancy telecommunications unit. I don't want to say anymore because you owe it to yourself to pick this book up. Anybody facing or faced the economic collapse will see part of themselves in the main character. Anyone divorced and trying to have an amicable relationship with their ex will see part of themselves. I found it to be a great read.

readingbecs's review against another edition

I would give this 3.5 stars. Nowhere near on par with what is the what or zeitoun, but a quick read with an interesting story.

bichito_feo's review against another edition

Kind of a let-down--an enjoyable read for the most part, but the ending left me completely cold.

jessie6's review

slow-paced

eblkbrn's review against another edition

An easy-driving story that abruptly runs out of gas. Eggers promptly abandons the reader and wanders off to the next book. And why not? This half-assed Death of a Salesman rewrite is more revealing about the National Book Award than Saudi Arabia, waning salesmen, or life in general.