The Girl and the Goddess: Stories and Poems of Divine Wisdom, by Nikita Gill

jordyrae's review

dark emotional hopeful slow-paced

caridominic's review

So unlike anything I have ever read. Took me a minute to realize it was an actual story written in verse, not just a book of poems but once I did wow! Spectacular. Content warnings in the first page which is very helpful. Honestly I don't know if anybody I know would enjoy this but I did and I'm grateful to have this beautiful book of divine wisdom. I also learned alot about Indian culture and Hinduism that I never knew/thought of. Very cool book, would definitely read something like this again in a heartbeat. Very magical and lyrical writing, the author is very talented.

leonieschu's review

i adore all of her work but this one wasn’t poetry like the others but a novel written in verse! so beautiful. also i appreciated the bisexuality confusion

chrysa_nez's review

"Everything about you
may look like someone else,
but that spirit was my gift to you
and no one else."

I devoured this book. Thank the world for work-free Sundays at my job, because I just spent the day eating up the words, loving every single page of it.
So much strength and emotion is expressed within these pages that I couldn't put it down.
Freeing, feministic, LGBTQIAA, poetic, colourful, expressive, vulnerable...does it show that I'm a fan?
After reading Fierce Fairytales, Nikita Gill became one of my favourite writers and this book was no exception.
If the theme is something you like and you still haven't read this, you're missing out.
I absolutely love it.

km_ess's review

emotional hopeful inspiring fast-paced

marysbooks111's review

astraeal's review against another edition

What a powerful and incredible story about girls, empowerment, love, and goddess. So many lessons told beautifully.

“There is nothing to fix. There is nothing broken about you.”

technicolortea's review

This book is so gorgeously pieced together, and I’m just blown away by the beauty and skill of the writing. As someone outside of the culture at the heart of the story, I know there is much that I cannot understand on a personal level, but some of the experiences described are universal. Nikita Gill is an unbelievable poet, and I plan on buying a physical copy of this book immediately so that I can hold the pages that echo in my heart. I will be recommending The Girl and the Goddess to anyone who will listen.

halahazarika's review

emotional inspiring slow-paced

dani_1405's review

emotional inspiring reflective fast-paced

I just absolutely love the way Nikita Gill writes. The way she can take concepts that are often quite cheesy in poetry and add this grounded backbone to them, which in turn makes them these really insightful and relatable poems is just magnificent.