I Want to Die but I Want to Eat Tteokbokki, by Baek Se-hee

shayda's review against another edition

I always feel strange reviewing memoirs, it’s like who am I to rate ur life experiences you know but this was engaging and I really enjoyed it

nonita's review against another edition

i want to die but i want to eat fideos con salsa

moonightflower's review against another edition

i‘ve enjoyed the self reflections in the last portion of the book so much, they were so much more resonating. i wish the whole book could‘ve been more like that tbh. the therapy sessions were insightful tho!

leotolstoy's review against another edition

while the transcribed conversations sometimes felt a little stilted (don't know if that was because of the translation or just the conversation itself), her reflections at the beginning/end of each chapter, and at the very end, simply floored me. i struggle with a lot of the same things that baek sehee does and this book made me feel very seen. a very different type of self-help book but one i really enjoyed and learned a lot from. i also love tteokbokki.

paula_reads's review against another edition

honestly this book was kinda disappointing. I don't really know what I expected but it wasn't this. I really love the title but it is really misleading, yes the mc has depression but she does not want to die?! like at all. and what was that last third? like the transcript stopped and it felt like an epilogue but i was way too long and the topics felt odd. I really wanted to love this book and I can definitely appreciate it but it's not what I hoped it would be for me

mykaah's review

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

✅️ low self esteem yet loves attention
✅️ has trouble not thinking in black and white or extremes
✅️ obsessed with her own and other peoples appearance

she just like me fr 😳

narpetcards's review

dark reflective slow-paced

This felt over polished, to the point that it lost out on feeling genuine. I had to go back and check if it was a memoir or fiction because it felt too neat, at times.

sonichkavibe's review

reflective slow-paced

I think you won’t find the book enjoyable unless you can empathize with an author. So if you’re not struggling with self-wallowing, self-despising and black-and-white thinking, you may find this book kinda not contributing to your experience😷

darareads's review

I did like it and found some parts relatable but for the most part I couldn't focus

robotswithpersonality's review

challenging sad
I hesitate to critique this memoir/therapy recounting because the subject matter is so personal.
I think the title is an attention grabber, I think the cover is stunning. I admire the choice to be so vulnerable and the aim to share such experience with others who may be going through it, but even as short as it is, the writing felt simultaneously both banal and disjointed to the point that I had trouble staying engaged long enough to finish.

I sincerely hope it finds those who could find it inspiring, I'm hoping it was a positive catharsis for the author, but I'm also really hoping nobody reads it as a replacement for getting their own therapy/treatment plan.
 ⚠️Fatphobia