Reviews tagging Hate crime

Bitter, by Akwaeke Emezi

sadiefc's review

challenging emotional hopeful tense medium-paced

dreareads_'s review

dark emotional informative reflective tense

<i> Hope is not a waste of time. Hope is a discipline <\i>

I really enjoyed this book. Emezi is the kind of author that is not afraid to be explicit about the central points of their story. The characters (old and new) and beautifully constructed, and the love between them is obvious.

While Pet was a fairly contained story, Bitter is a story about a movement and the role of individuals. It is a story that warns against revenge, but also the ugly side of ‘justice’.

There are many things to love about this book but there were points that were confusing or just didn’t work for me.
1) The Angels: in Pet the Angels are here to hunt monsters, and while they have their own agenda they are not needlessly blood thirsty
Spoiler in this story, the Angels are bringers of destruction, their purpose isn’t to safe the innocent, but to cleanse the city w/ blood
this to me felt like a departure from what we knew about the Angels from Pet.
2) The delivery of the message: although I appreciate the ideas that Emezi is promoting in the book, sometimes they felt a bit too on the surface. This is more a preference than anything else, and I understand that as a YA story this is aimed at an audience that benefits from clear messaging.

Regardless another masterpiece from a wonderful writer.

gemlove810's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful reflective fast-paced

slythjetta's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional inspiring sad tense fast-paced

Wow, this is my first time reading Emezi's writing and I found it incredible.

The audi is read by one of my favorite narrators, Bahru Turpin🤍🤍🤍

I did not read the synopsis upon starting and was surprised to learn that the Mc's name is bitter😂😭 poor thing....

I enjoyed this unique piece and that Bitter has the  magical artistic ability to bring her drawings to life, which is AWESOME!!!

Bitter is a relatable character and genuinely needed to get their frustration out. But there is always a plot twist and sometimes your creation has a mind of its own🔮

sonaea's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective

One of the best descriptions of activism and activists I've yet read. Also, awesome representation, strong women and even a bit critical of the system (a lot, but only a bit is really mentioned).
My only critical points are of the storytelling-kind: Some of the conflicts between the characters that first seem huge are suddenly not important at all anymore. They forgive and forget and while they do talk about it, it's easily solved (especially thinking about
Spoilerthe last conflict between Bitter and Aloe - first they don't seem to even care about the others feelings, being all angry with each other and stuff, not listening to each other, then suddenly they're all reflected and make up again - that's not healthy, and honestly I don't think that's how it works for long irl. Please reflect before you start accusing each other of things
). Also, the writing style could have been better, but it was a good read nonetheless.