Reviews tagging Self harm

Bitter, by Akwaeke Emezi

readwithasherreid's review

dark emotional funny reflective tense fast-paced

As someone who fell in love with PET, BITTER immediately went onto my list for the most anticipated 2022 releases!! I was worried going into this because I saw a *lot* of criticism for this book. However, after finishing it, I disagree with a lot of the negative things people have to say about this work. In my opinion, Akwaeke Emezi does not ever disappoint with their novels!! This was not a book that was ‘fun’ to read, by any means, there are some triggering topics discussed within this novel. However, I think the way the conversations are talked about is brilliant and that the book was one that I could not put down! There seem to be some adults who think this book is “too smart” for teenagers and I just don’t think you’re giving teens the credit they deserve. I could talk about BITTER for ages, but to save time and energy I’ll leave this review short.

CWs I can't link below: conversion therapy, depression, sex trafficking, etc.

musebeliever's review

lesliesbooks's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional fast-paced

sadiefc's review

challenging emotional hopeful tense medium-paced

queermath's review

adventurous dark sad tense fast-paced

i really wanted to like this book more than i did! the world building is incredible but i found the history of the city more interesting than the monsters that come to destroy it / save it & wish the story had been more focused there

karcitis's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective medium-paced

solenekeleroux's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

michaelion's review against another edition

dark hopeful tense medium-paced

I'd like to reiterate what I said in my review of Pet. Which I will not repeat here but it still stands. I liked, nay, LOVED Vengeance. And the worldbuilding in this sequel / prequel is just so rich. Not that they have to, but Emezi could run wild with this world alone and never be broke again. It's so beautiful, it's so refreshing. Pet was so warm and sweet and this was so dark and sultry... Bitter if I may. But both books, despite how different they feel, smell, sound, despite how different the in-universe world is barely a generation later, both taste like eating really good dark chocolate. For me. I say this because I love dark chocolate. And I did eat a few while reading, but because the world already made me think of the flavor! What I mean is the world itself is rich, flavorful, colorful, and even though the books are different they have the same heart.

Emezi has a real talent, a real beauty in absorbing me into these words. There was one page I gasped at least 10 times, just one page! And throughout the whole book I was so giddy. But can you blame me? A straight (presenting(?)) couple so gay they grow to have a trans daughter? I love it here! We have no choice but to stan! If there's a third book I'm sending Emezi my paycheck the day the book is announced.

emzhayreading's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

I love the ideals and topics discussed in this book. It gave me a whole new perspective on Pet. I would say  books are essential reading.

mars_ira's review

dark hopeful inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced