Reviews tagging Violence

Bitter, by Akwaeke Emezi

rather_b_reading's review

dark hopeful fast-paced

I wanted to like this one as much as Pet, but Bitter wasn't as likeable and for such a short book, it had a lot of characters. I might bump it up after I reflect some more, but I went in with too high of expectations. Also, the messages are on the nose, but I don't think the content of this one is as geared towards middle grade.

lesliesbooks's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional fast-paced

catapocalypse's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful tense medium-paced

The most important thing to know going into this after reading Pet is that they are very different in tone and intensity. Bitter is a prequel, following Jam's mother when she herself was a teen in school, back before the monsters in Lucille were subdued. This setting is very recognizable and on-the-nose with real life issues: exploitative billionaires, corrupt government, and brutality against marginalized populations. Bitter's life has been hard, and even within the safe walls of her school, Eucalyptus, she still grapples with what her part in the struggle to make a better world should be. Things fly out of control when she accidentally unleashes Angels into the world, and both she and the activist Assata kids must decide how they really want things to resolve.

I personally didn't have an issue with the ways this differs from Pet. As with everything from Emezi, things play out in ways I didn't entirely expect, and nothing is as simple as it seems. This is definitely the most on-the-nose of their work, which some folks may not care for, but I think is fine for YA in particular.

The serious content does make it seem fit for a slightly older teen audience than Pet, as there are deaths, instances of violence and characters suffering serious injury, and some mentions of abuse and trauma from the very flawed foster care system.

lily1304's review

hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

Loved it - it makes a great prequel to Pet. I deeply appreciate that it gives a little more characterization to
SpoilerHibiscus, who is a major character in Pet. In Bitter, he's not a predator yet - just a headstrong teenager like Bitter and Aloe.

libscote's review

emotional tense medium-paced

This is a prequel to Pet, an amazing book unlike anything I had ever read before. This is the story of Lucille while it was still dangerous. It's in the future from now, but perhaps not too far off. This story looks at the different ways to approach conflict, why one might not want to put their body on the line, and why one might say yes. This book shows the horror of angels, and the might. There's a lot to ponder here.

Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC of this title.

readingjaunt's review against another edition

dreareads_'s review

dark emotional informative reflective tense

<i> Hope is not a waste of time. Hope is a discipline <\i>

I really enjoyed this book. Emezi is the kind of author that is not afraid to be explicit about the central points of their story. The characters (old and new) and beautifully constructed, and the love between them is obvious.

While Pet was a fairly contained story, Bitter is a story about a movement and the role of individuals. It is a story that warns against revenge, but also the ugly side of ‘justice’.

There are many things to love about this book but there were points that were confusing or just didn’t work for me.
1) The Angels: in Pet the Angels are here to hunt monsters, and while they have their own agenda they are not needlessly blood thirsty
Spoiler in this story, the Angels are bringers of destruction, their purpose isn’t to safe the innocent, but to cleanse the city w/ blood
this to me felt like a departure from what we knew about the Angels from Pet.
2) The delivery of the message: although I appreciate the ideas that Emezi is promoting in the book, sometimes they felt a bit too on the surface. This is more a preference than anything else, and I understand that as a YA story this is aimed at an audience that benefits from clear messaging.

Regardless another masterpiece from a wonderful writer.

ekmook's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

ashleycmms's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

duckyreads's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional inspiring tense medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

In this follow up to Pet, we learn more about Bitter's past, centering around a revolution in the town of Lucille. While Bitter and her friends attend the prestigious school of Eucalyptus, the world around the is in a constant state of conflict. Bitter has a very different tone and approach to Pet, and as a more Young Adult novel, more mature themes are explored.