Cheeky Brat, Vol. 1, by Miyuki Mitsubachi

rosethedreamer's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

jinxingtay's review

funny lighthearted

indianagranger's review

I feel like I like this more than I should.  Weirdly cute and you do really root for them.

tiff0013's review

funny lighthearted slow-paced

tibcanread's review

fast-paced

I probably won't be continuing with this one. Not a fan of the constant disregard of the MC's clearly drawn boundaries.

miamiamiau's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

rosewelsh's review

Cheeky Brat reads similarly to older romance-themed manga where the basis of most of the interactions between our main couple involves the man being gross and the woman somehow falling in love with him despite it. Three pages in and our romantic lead has already touched our protagonist’s breast without consent sooooo yeah.

Yuki is a high school student who manages the school basketball team. She decided to sign on as manager after an interaction with the captain, Kido, and develops a crush on him because of his kindness and general good nature. When she overhears he has a girlfriend, she is devastated but tries to keep a brave face. That isn’t hard for her as she’s known for being a bit of a hard-ass and never smiling, a trait which Naruse, our love interest, finds intriguing. He falls for her and tries his best to be around her as much as possible, which drives her insane.

Naruse is a typical manga love interest in that he’s basically an asshole with issues who makes the protagonist uncomfortable but rather than finding him weird and creepy, she falls for him too. It’s a trope as old as time that all of these women deserve more. But hey, it’s a high school manga so it’s what I’ve come to expect. It’s a fine, very typical high school romance with hijinks and a lot of teenagers not trusting their own feelings. Naruse isn’t a bad character, and he never does anything overly offensive (aside from the earlier mention) he’s just generally cold. Yuki is weirdly all over the place, always keeping her emotions in check but also losing it over a dude who doesn’t deserve her. So, in turn, pretty typical 16-year-old behavior. It’s an enjoyable enough series that I can see a lot of my high school students enjoying.
Blog / Twitter / Instagram

thoughtsfullofbooks's review against another edition

will always be my favorite

cxstielswings's review

funny fast-paced

antaresnout's review against another edition

naruse. i. do. really. love. you. dasar makhluk penyebab baper (//v//)