The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

sophjan's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

sleepingwren's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

sydneyyh's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional inspiring medium-paced

It was time for my semi annual reread of this book. This is one of my favorite books ever, I reread it at least once a year. Maggie’s descriptions of Thisby, the horses, and the characters are so vivid you feel like you’re actually there with Puck and Sean. It’s one of the few books where I can actually SEE what’s happening in my mind. Every year I look to see if there’s going to be a movie made and still nobody has done anything with the rights (they’re really missing out) and every year I wish Maggie would write a sequel or even just put out an epilogue. I want to go to Thisby like it’s a real place and there’s not many books I can say that about. If you’re on the fence about this book, just read it, you won’t regret it.

charfaust's review against another edition

adventurous dark reflective medium-paced

emilyb_chicago's review against another edition

I adored this vivid story which revolved around a fairy tale monster that I'd never heard of before. I have rarely had such a clear image of setting and atmosphere as I got from the descriptions of the island in this novel. I love these repressed characters. There was a very mild romance and a decent amount of gore to be aware of if you're handing the book to a younger audience.

I loved listening to the author's note, which she reads, at the end of the book. She discusses writing the story, but also the music that she composed which was played during the audio book. (She plays 6 instruments!)

sandra4444's review against another edition

*Real rating: 2.5 stars*

To begin with, I liked the mythical idea of the capaill uisce and the fact that the romance was very light (in my opinion at least). The setting was also okay, but what bothered me was that I found the book to be boring. I felt like there was this build up to the race (which I knew from the beginning most likely would end in either two ways - I was right) that actually wasn't much of a build up at all. Sure, there were some stuff that happened, but at the same time nothing HAPPENED, if that makes sense... The characters were also nothing outstanding. I can't honestly say if I prefered Puck or Sean... My favourite character was probably Dory Maud, but compared to Maggie Stiefvater's "The Raven Cycle" (which I LOVE!!!!) I found this book to be a disappointment, especially on the character front. Still, it's certainly not the worst book I've read, but neither is it the best.

kim_j_dare's review against another edition

Oh my goodness... such a compelling and evocative story. The island of Thisby is a hard and lonely place most of the year, but in October, things heat up for the annual Scorpio Races along the dangerous shorelines. More than a horse race, this is the island's celebration of mastering the capaill uisce-- the bloodthirsty water horses that can occasionally be lured from the sea. There is plenty of fight-to-the-death action, as riders and their mounts prepare for the annual November 1 race, but the real story is about so much more: family and love and not backing down from what you believe in. Stiefvater's pacing is impeccable as she draws readers in to Puck's and Sean's developing relationship. Beautifully written: read it, read it, read it.

soleilreads's review against another edition

How could anyone not love Sean Kendrick?

really_mossy_rock's review against another edition

adventurous inspiring mysterious medium-paced