Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood, by Trevor Noah

imissbookit's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny informative inspiring reflective tense fast-paced

ckjesq's review against another edition

Wow- thank you Mr. Noah and most importantly, thank you Mrs. Noah. No more to be said

espiri_reads's review against another edition

I don’t know what else to add that everyone hasn’t added already. This book was way more than what I expected. Trevor Noah is a great storyteller. Some stories had me laugh-crying. And others had me crying-crying.

He added so much nuanced understanding to life during and post apartheid. And really highlighted the impact of colorism and trying to put people in boxes.

Highly recommend!!

Finally, I will forever call bougie people “cheese people.”

almadecolor's review against another edition

I loved Noah's authenticity, humor, and perspective on very difficult situations growing up during apartheid in South Africa. It's a beautiful memoir and tribute to his mother.

zainde's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

viveknshah's review against another edition

This is no silver spoon celebrity memoir neither does it harp on a rags to riches story, but not so everyday life explained as a matter of fact with social commentary about the world around him as he grew rather than focussing on himself. Whilst outrageous some of the scenarios he finds himself in, they feel very relatable in his style of writing. Did I just read that weird to funny to tragic to heart warming - a multitude of emotions adds a lot more respect to the personality that is Trevor Noah.

katelynnyletak's review against another edition

Highly highly highly recommend! Not only is Noah an excellent storyteller (definitely listen to the audiobook!), his stories of growing up in South Africa during apartheid range from fascinating and hilarious to sobering and heartbreaking. He is incredibly insightful in his observations on history, culture, humanity, and systematic and personal racism.

k_gabardi's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

ccchariya's review against another edition

funny lighthearted reflective medium-paced

dorkylittlehooman's review against another edition

adventurous challenging funny lighthearted reflective medium-paced

Trevor Noah can take any situation and re-frame it in a way it appears rather comical. This memoir tackles rough moments through his childhood, yet his comedic perspective, but more importantly, his "moving forward with goodness" attitude persevere; while feeling the fear, anger, and negativity, Noah never allows us to dwell, instead imparting a theme of appreciation to move forward with no grudges.