Reviews tagging Toxic relationship

Act Your Age, Eve Brown, by Talia Hibbert

linesiunderline's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted slow-paced

Just delightful. I’ve met all the Brown sisters and it’s no easy decision to choose a favourite, so I’m not going to! However, I think perhaps this book is my favourite of the three in this series.

Loved:
• the cute B&B setting
• the 🔥 connection between Eve and Jacob
• the nuanced exploration of how hard it can be to understand, accept, and love all parts of yourself
• all of the witty quips a girl could wish for
• perfect balance of tenderness and humour

If there were 5 more Brown sisters I wouldn’t be mad about it. A favourite of the year for sure!

eligru's review against another edition

funny inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

This book made me laugh out loud so many times xD
It’s such a worthy end to the Brown sisters‘ trilogy! Probs my favourite of the 3.
I kinda wish there was another sister (or brother!), and hence another book, because I’ve really grown to love these characters :) They are all so relatable! I feel like I am a mix of Dani and Eve with some Chloe moments sprinkled on top. Can‘t wait to see what Talia Hibbert comes up next.

ashleighsbooks's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

this is my fav book out of the brown sisters trilogy. eve and jacob are so relatable and funny and real and i was rooting for them the entire time. talia hibbert’s character development is unmatched.

plumpaperbacks's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

I was 99% sure I’d love this book, and I was right. I knew I loved it as soon as I started reading. From cover to cover, it was fun, super cute, and highly amusing. Both of the previous books in the series had me laughing and swooning, and this one was no exception. I love Chloe, Dani, Eve, Red, Zaf, and Jacob with my whole heart. I love Gigi too, and honestly would love a grandma as eccentric and fun as her.

The only thing I didn’t love was how little of the other two Brown sisters and their boyfriends we got to see. I understand that this is Eve and Jacob’s book, and they spend most of it in a small town a couple of hours away from where the previous protagonists live. The one scene where they were almost all together was brief and didn’t include Jacob. Don’t get me wrong, I still absolutely loved the book. I just would’ve really liked to see the six of them hanging out and goofing around.

I can easily say that this book—honestly, this whole trilogy—is at the very top of my favorites list. In my list of top five contemporary books, three spots would be given to these books. I’ll definitely be rereading them, either because they’re great pick-me-ups or I just miss the characters. :)

Representation
  • fat Black autistic protagonist
  • autistic love interest
  • fat Black side character with fibromyalgia and chronic pain*
  • fat Black bisexual side character*
  • Muslim Pakistani side character with anxiety*
  • Black pansexual side character in a sapphic relationship*
*only a few on-page appearances

memorable's review

adventurous emotional fast-paced

Oh I love the Brown sisters! And did I just read this book in a day? Yes, I did!
I loved getting to know Eve more as you already know her as a side character from the first two books; however, you don’t know her that well.
What I really liked is the autism rep for both characters, but especially the fact that it was just a side note and both Eve and Jacob seemed to have different approaches to the label, yet accepted the other’s without a doubt.
On thing I wasn’t completely fond of was Jacobs behaviour at the end towards no other man touching Eve. That just seems a little too controlling for my taste.
Nonetheless, I enjoyed this book tremendously! And I guess I’m gonna start with Chloe’s and Red’s story again as it’s been some time since my last read.

maisierosereads's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

⭐ Read my full review and see a themed reading journal spread on my blog!

Thank you so much to the Hear Our Voices team for the opportunity to take part in their book tour for Act Your Age, Eve Brown, and to Harper Collins for providing me with an eARC so that I could write this review.

Act Your Age, Eve Brown was the first book I read by Talia Hibbert – although it’s the third book in the Brown Sisters series, as companion novels they can be read in any order. Since reading this book I’ve bought myself eBooks of the other two novels, read them, and posted 5 star reviews for them – which probably says a lot about how much I enjoyed Talia Hibbert’s writing!

Let’s start by talking about representation, since that was the main factor which drew me to this series of books.

Both of the main characters are autistic – Jacob was diagnosed when he was 12, and Eve realises that she is also autistic during the course of the book (as well as recognising autistic traits in her family members). This is probably the best autism representation I’ve ever read, and it filled my neurodivergent heart with so much joy that I a) cried and b) couldn’t stop gushing about it to my fiancée. Every detail of their characters is so well thought out, and does a great job of showing how autism can present differently in different people. Jacob is able to run his business with an amazing attention for detail because he is autistic; he has weighted blankets on hand for any B&B guests that need them; he sleeps in a nest of blankets; he likes firm touch. Eve uses music to stim, either by listening to songs through one AirPod or by singing to herself, which helps her to focus; she mixes up words when speaking; she likes bright colours and glitter; she is highly motivated to help the people she cares about. It’s so refreshing to read about two autistic protagonists not masking and still having the loving, supportive relationships they deserve! I also think it was wonderful that Talia showed how Eve worked out that she was autistic, given how many AFAB people (particularly non-white AFAB people) are not able to access a diagnosis until adulthood, if at all.

In terms of other representation, much like the previous books in this series, there are also several sapphic side-characters. Dani (Eve’s older sister and protagonist of book 2) is bi, and their grandmother Gigi is in a long-term relationship with her live-in girlfriend/yoga instructor, Shivani. Eve’s other sister, Chloe, is disabled due to a chronic illness; she (like me!) has fibromyalgia. The majority of characters across all three books are Black, and Dani’s boyfriend Zaf is Pakistani. All of the Brown sisters are fat, and their curves and stretch marks are portrayed in a beautiful body-positive way. When Talia Hibbert says she writes “steamy, diverse romance” – she most certainly does, and she does it superbly!

As well as being great characters to start with, both Jacob and Eve go through some brilliant development throughout the book – something Talia Hibbert has a particular knack for! Eve is generally a very lovable character who will always help the people she loves (e.g. if you’ve read Get a Life, Chloe Brown you’ll know that it’s Eve who does Chloe’s food prep for her), and in this book she finds a way to balance that with taking care of herself, too. Jacob might seem like a big grump at the start of the book, but through his PoV chapters we learn just how caring he actually is, as well as him being very funny. You can’t help but love a guy who runs outside in the middle of the night because he doesn’t want ducks to ruin his guests’ experience!

I don’t want to say too much on the specifics of the plot because I wouldn’t want to spoil it for anyone, but I will say that it felt perfectly paced to me, with just the right combination of every emotion you might want to experience when reading a romance. This book had me so hooked that I stayed up until an absolutely ridiculous hour (which may or may not have been 4:30am) to carry on reading it. Did that make my fatigue flare up? Yes. Did I regret it? Absolutely not.

All in all, Talia Hibbert is an extremely talented writer who deserves every bit of praise and success. Her writing in Act Your Age, Eve Brown is beautiful, heartwarming, emotional, hilarious, sexy, relatable… Everything I could possibly want in a contemporary romance! Whether you read for plot or characters or both, you won’t be disappointed. This was my favourite out of the three Brown Sisters books, and I’m certainly going to be reading it on repeat – I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!

Content warnings: anti-autistic ableism; childhood neglect; explicit sexual content; injury; past toxic relationship

readaholic19's review

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted slow-paced

Eve Brown has held a few different jobs over the past few years. The latest one being a kind of disaster - oops! Eve's parents are a bit harsh and decide to cut Eve off for a while until she can hold down a job.

Eve is upset, but understands (kinda) her parents reasoning for cutting her off. While taking a long drive she happens upon a charming Inn. This is where she meets Jacob Wayne - owner of said Inn. Jacob and Eve immediately do not get a long. Jacob just happens to be interviewing for a cook and Eve just happens to be looking for a job. The interview doesn't go so great and while leaving, Eve manages to hit Jaco with her car (yikes!). And now Eve kind of has to stay to help out Jacob because - she did kind of hit him with her car.

What starts off as a rocky working relationship slowly turns into a tentative friendship. I loved the relationship between Eve and Jacob. They are literally the definition of sunshine and grump with Jacob even nicknaming Eve "Sunshine" (swoon 😍). I loved the slow growth of their relationship and how they didn't ever shy away from hard subjects for both of them.

I really liked the fact that Jacob was very outright and forthcoming with his autism. And that he felt at ease with Eve. Eve hasn't always had the best relationships with friends either and so it was a joy watching their friendship bloom. They were always free to be each other when they were together.

As always, Talia is such a talented author. There are always specific lines that stick with me when reading her books and I definitely highlighted parts of Act Your Age, Eve Brown that I will be going back to revisit.

Audiobook:

Story: 4.5
Narration: 5
Overall: 5

I had an opportunity to listen to the the audiobook of Act Your Age, Eve Brown and it was so good! The audiobook was narrated by Ione Butler and I feel that she did a wonderful job narrating Eve, Jacob and all of the secondary characters in the book. I was laughing so hard while listening to this book and that just goes to show you how amazing and talented the author and narrator are!

Grab Act Your Age, Eve Brown if you're looking for an enemies-to-lovers/grumpy sunshine romance that will have you laughing and swooning in equal measures!

I received a complimentary copy/audiobook of this book from the publisher.