Ghost Lover: Stories by Lisa Taddeo

lottiede's review against another edition

5☆ for characters so realistic, men so vile, twists so fun
1☆ for characters so silly, men so vile, plots making me suicidal

lovepoem4000's review against another edition

dark emotional funny sad medium-paced

Started strong but quickly became exhausting. The writing is fast and punchy and visual and often excellent. But the stories all blend together and it becomes a slog of self-hating women with similar issues and backgrounds and I struggled to finish it.

alexhutton's review against another edition

Some really great cutting writing in parts but this is nine stories about women who hate other women (and themselves) and it just became too predictable and bleak for me

erboe501's review against another edition

I really appreciate Taddeo's voice and her unflinching gaze at the less-than-flattering thoughts women have. She feels like a sexier Ottessa Moshfegh with her unlikeable female characters behaving badly. Taddeo is also great at disconcerting, bizarre comparisons that are visceral, often unsexy. All of these stories delivered on the above, but because they were all variations of that same theme, they became a little monotonous.

Cancer, dead fathers, sexual abuse, Italian heritage, fixation on youth, financial stability/instability, and unattainable male love interests appear throughout. The women pit themselves against each other for the men they desire, a desire that consumes and fuels them. My favorite story might have been "Air Supply" because of the focus on female friendship. Competition and judgment of the female friend, yes, but also a solidarity and deep understanding of each other.

hannahjeanie's review against another edition

dark reflective sad medium-paced

keerit's review against another edition

a mixed bag!!! some high highs and low lows across these essays, but will def be peeping some other taddeo works

chlocarp's review against another edition

dark emotional funny reflective medium-paced

gutterpede's review against another edition

A lot of surprise name drops from where I used to live

killyourdarlings105's review against another edition

dark emotional funny medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

faithgeiger's review against another edition

3.5/5 I adore Taddeo. Solid collection of stories but this was my least favorite book by her. Themes felt a bit repetitive and stories started to blur for me. But overall powerful, captivating, and honest as ever. Can’t wait for more from her <3