The Dead Romantics by Ashley Poston

bethanghi's review

4.5 stars. This was a beautiful, kinda dark, but very heart warming story. I loved how integrated the supernatural elements were into this romance and story of grief. A great time.

katiecentabar's review against another edition

I wanted more of Ben and less of Florence, I think a dual perspective would have clinched this for me. Some cute moments but overall fine. The ending went on forever!

rcosgrave's review

emotional hopeful mysterious fast-paced

travelpaige's review against another edition

Absolutely loved this book, and it’s the second from this author to go on my list of favorite reads for the year. Read it in one day. Such a unique romance and I fell in love with every character.

faithmotta04's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful lighthearted sad tense fast-paced

Honestly, it's not my favorite book. I read it, and I felt like the writer was making up stuff as she went. The plot was a bit sporadic, and I think the whole ghost plot was something that was added later on. This was my first attempt at reading a bookstagram recommendation, and I'm not impressed.
I love books which surprise me, but The Dead Romantics was very obvious. The ending wasn't at all surprising. In fact, I was already guessing at the ending long before the grand *reveal* at the end of the book! I read the book to pass the time, but not really because I enjoyed it. To me, The Dead Romantics is the equivalent of an in-flight movie or a magazine at the doctor's office: you only read it because it's there.
The writing itself wasn't very good. The characters were 2D, and their conversations sounded fake and stiff. Not to mention just how stupid the characters sounded! I mean, "Zoom zoom juice?!" Toward the end, I was just reading it to see just how much WORSE things were going to get. I got so much second-hand embarrassment reading this!
However, I did like the ghost aspect of the story. But, aside from the ghosts, the book didn't interest me.

vanessagrausam's review

funny lighthearted reflective medium-paced

sarahanne8382's review

This book. O.M.G. I am wrecked. It's cute and attention grabbing that this book could be described as a ghostwriter falling for a ghost, but it's so much more than that. It's one of my favorite things, a romance that's really a front for the myriad, not-all-romantic ways that love makes life worth living. It tore me apart and made me laugh through my tears as it reminded of all the beautiful bittersweet complexity of living.

There's a quirky family that runs a funeral home, and the other delightful characters in the small town they inhabit. But there's also the New York crew, who all work in publishing and are unabashed book nerds. Romantic leads who banter about books are the best.

I thought I would never love a romance as much as Emily Henry's Beach Read, but I think this might have been just the teensiest bit better.

larkyn11's review