alieninthejam's review against another edition

This was so unbelievably sexist it hurt my little DC heart I couldn’t give it more than 1 star I didn’t even want to finish it a some points but its so short I felt like I had to. I REALLY wanted to enjoy this but- there is no other way to say it so overtly sexist you can tell right down to the way WAY overly sexualised character designs it disgusts me more than I can say. I have no problem with men writing female characters but these character arc were so one dimensional and unrealistic with a complete undertone of sexualisation there is no need for me to say I will not be continuing with this series.

omnibusone's review

adventurous funny fast-paced

amandat's review against another edition

I must say, I prefer Barbara Gordon as Oracle. Here, she's taken over the Bat Cave (as something has happened to Batman) and it's hinted at that Batman has been gone a while. What she does to get herself out of trouble is great.

I also prefer Huntress as Helena Bertinelli instead of the lovechild of Batman and Catwoman. She's a lot of fun in this collection.

Like the new 52 Birds of Prey, Black Canary comes off as the difficult one in the group. I'm not sure if this common for the character or just it happens that the only two BofP comic collections I've read feature Black Canary being a royal pain. Which is unfortunate because she certainly wasn't this way in the "Young Justice" animated series.

captwinghead's review against another edition

This run doesn't have quite the same vibe as the last one. Aside from it lacking the look of the classic run, the line up felt a bit different. This team was made up of Oracle, Huntress, Black Canary, Lady Blackhawk and they're joined by Hawk and Dove.

The plot felt a little scattered to me but I must admit, during the first part of this volume, I was extremely distracted by the art. The old run had some sexualized art but nothing too too bad. This had some impossible angles, a ton of ass shots and I just found it odd? Like it reminded me of that Emma Frost book I read a long time ago in that this is a series that women love reading and I would wager were a huge part of the fanbase. So, why this art that is so sexualized, it's not sexy? I think of Sunstone and how that book is literally about BDSM and sex is a big part of it. That art is sexy without being so cheaply sexualized. Ya get me?

Anyway, the art changes for the last 2 issues which I appreciated.

This run had several of the elements I loved in the last one:
- Babs leads the team as Oracle and she's so wonderful under pressure
- Helena and Dinah continue to support each other
- This continues to be a team of women supporting women
- The action is entertaining

The plot lost me a few times but the emotional moments really landed. Oracle getting through to Savant and understanding where she let him down. Creote finally getting Savant to realize how much he loved him. (I don't think they were allowed to show them kissing for some reason). Dinah leaving the team to fight for Sin. Helena sacrificing herself for Dinah because she didn't think anyone would need her the way they needed Dinah. (I love their relationship the most, I think).

It's pretty entertaining and has a lot of the same heart the last one did so, if you liked Gail's last run of BoP, give this volume a shot.

combledore's review against another edition

(read in digital, not trade)

I have a hard time reading pre-reboot DC Comics, because all these amazing female characters I adore are just GONE, and it makes me sad. None of the leads of this book are in current continuity in the form they were in here, and ... yeah. Sad.

rubybastille's review against another edition

Considering everything I know about Black Canary and Huntress comes from Batman: Hush and the show "Arrow," maybe this book wasn't the best place to start with Birds of Prey. I enjoyed Gail Simone's writing during the times I could make sense of the story, but wow they weren't kidding when they said the art took away from the story and characterization. It might actually be worse than Greg Land.

renatasnacks's review against another edition

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this given that I have no idea who any of these characters are. I guess at this point I've read enough comics to not bat an eyelash when a character is described as a "WWII pilot misplaced in time." Like, sure, of course. Anyway there were a lot of references to character backstory/motivation that I did not understand at all, but basically the message I got was: do not fuck with these ladiez. And I won't, I swear. Basically a really smart, fun bunch of ladies kicking ass in Gotham City led by the best librarian everrrr