Oathbringer, by Brandon Sanderson

raeandray's review against another edition

My favorite world to read. Even ignoring the story Roshar is one of the most intricate, intelligently written places ever imagined. The story is good too. Mistborn still takes the cake story wise I think but nothing beats going back to Roshar.

fairymodmother's review against another edition

I'm exhausted, physically and emotionally. Be prepared for a book bender, because this one grips you hard. Storms I love this series.

CONTENT WARNING: (not actual spoilers unless you're very sensitive to spoilers)
Spoiler lots of war, of course. Death of a spouse. Oblique mention of rape. Mental illness including depression, addiction and PTSD.

Things to love:
-The reveals. Again, Brandon answers my questions and concerns just at the point where ignoring them much longer would have been a turn off.

-The characters. We focus on Dalinar on this one, and I really liked the way it went. I've found him a bit one dimensional, but this rounded him out nicely for me!
SpoilerI like that he was a terrible human to highlight how hard he fights now to be good. That became meaningful by the end, though of course imagining him yelling at his sons is painful. But it should be, and it was.

-The inclusion of "others." Oppression, gay marriage, mental illness...this world is not a sleek homogeneous heaven. People feel left out, make unusual homes, grapple with their own humanity.

-The in-jokes. It could just be me, but I felt some wry self-referential humor and lots of references to things like global warming that were that little extra spice that keeps me invested.

-The other jokes. Chapters 18/19 were some of the funniest things I've read in quite some time. There were classic moments of banter, but Pattern and Syl have me emanating laughterspren like a Shadesmar Comedy Club.

-THE END OF PART 4/BEGINNING OF PART 5. OMG. 83%-93% was harrowing, was it not? I'm afraid I was not good company when I got there. But the people around me weren't Knights Radiant, so I think I'll survive. This was a brilliant series of events that kept me on the edge of my...me. All of me was on edge.

Things that felt clunkier than I was expecting:
-Kaladin with the other Knights. There were so many times I was expecting him not to be the big damn hero. To have someone remind him he's human. To let him have something nice. And yet. Poor mopey Kaladin.

-Some pacing issues. There were a few parts that went on a bit long and/or were repetitive. But not nearly as many as a 1200 page book should have, damn it all.

-The love triangle. I'm not mad about it, but I was pretty salty throughout this book. Once again this is that thing that I felt in WoR where we skated so close to eyeroll territory (and strayed exactly once! Not shabby!) that it made me nervous.

-The info dump. There was a small info dump that was made more noticeable by how long we've gone without an info dump. I wish instead it had not been an info dump, but it was short, and we all survived unscathed.

I mean, this series can't really get better. I'd say this is my second favorite book in the series so far, and I cannot wait to see how this works next. If you're a fan of epic fantasy, you need to check this out. It's simply a masterpiece.

rigawiz's review against another edition

Well, this book probably didn't need to be 1300 pages long. The first third of the book had most of the characters walking around in a fog wondering what was going on. Too many of the characters seemed to be blindly moving about the world looking for answers. The payoff, the eureka moments, were good but not good enough for the amount of buildup. And, since the book started this way, it was hard to make up ground to a satisfying conclusion. The world building, the character arcs, the backstories, these were all interesting and well fleshed-out. The sum of the parts was just somehow less than the whole. I enjoyed the book and made steady progress but I definitely wasn't itching to see what happens on the next page.

neznem's review against another edition

As my most anticipated book release of the year, Sanderson pulled through once again with another incredible addition to his epic fantasy series. I feel like I just finished five or six books or an entire series or two of a fantastic television show. There were almost no pacing issues or wasted chapters, to me, everything made sense and pushed the story forward, there was really no filler, and for a book to be this long, one would hope not.

I like the continued exploration of very realistic and flawed characters on both sides of the conflict, and the reveals in this book were just amazing. Shallan's development was fun, worrying, emotional, believable, and just everything I could hope for for my favorite character. I love how messed up she is but how still amazing she is. It allows me to relate to her even more.

I cheered, I gasped, I laughed, I cried, all while listening to this incredible narration. I recommend the author and this series to anyone if you haven't started, and enjoy this incredible feast of a book.

sirrickthenick's review against another edition

A grand addition to the saga that is the Stormlight Archives. The story is getting pretty epic at this point, both in plot and in scope, and I wonder how Sanderson is going to keep it from getting too overwhelming with so many characters, but I know I'll definitely enjoy the ride.

It's been a pleasure getting lost in the world of Roshar, and man does Sanderson know how to writer a climax, I'll say that much. I'm eagerly anticipating the fourth book in the series.

kpeeps111's review against another edition

Pretty classic Sanderson, in the best way.

jazzband8's review

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful tense medium-paced

I’ve enjoyed the Stormlight Archive so far but this is the best book I’ve read so far in the series. I felt totally immersed the whole read. Laughing out loud, gasping, crying, anxious, and joyful. Beautiful character development and some really fun twists in the story. I can’t wait to read Rhythm of War.

andruowens's review

adventurous challenging mysterious tense slow-paced

elsazetterljung's review against another edition

(10/10)

xxrust's review against another edition

Oathbringer was magnificent.

The observer effect in quantum theory basically says that the act of observing affects what you find, that we project onto what we see. While Oathbringer is a beautiful high fantasy book with thrilling battles, journeys, and creatures, it is more. It is a story of forgiveness and redemption, namely, of one's self. I think one of the reasons I love the Stormlight Archive so much is that I resonate with the protagonists' mental struggles so much, and when I start inadvertently projecting the things I struggle with onto them and then see them push through and progress to radiance I feel my own potential letting me know I can do the same.

I do not know exactly what Brandon Sanderson intended when we wrote Oathbringer, but I absolutely know what I found- an enthralling journey that made me stop and reassess myself.

ps. I am no quantum physicists and I know that's an oversimplification lol