The Last Cuentista by Donna Barba Higuera

meganders22's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced

kreadtin's review against another edition

My kid chose this book to read at bedtime and I managed to get to Chapter 15 before she lost interest. I had a lot of interest in the ideas, but I also didn't have time to finish it on my own before I had to return it to the library.

The plot was really interesting and different. Definitely by Chapter 15, you come screeching into sad story territory and my kid is definitely NOT into that, so I understand why she didn't want to continue. I don't think she was following along all that much because when I asked her what she thought of
the girl's entire family dying, she was like what? they did? and then that realization is probably what did in the rest of the book for her.

It's definitely not a read-aloud book unless you're good at Spanish or know Spanish. Quite honestly, besides very simple words, I skipped a lot of that while reading because it's just really choppy when I read it and I know (as someone who listens to the odd audio book) it doesn't really have the same weight to it when read aloud. For me, it makes sense in context of the page, but if you're hearing it, it wouldn't make sense (at least not to a 10 year old), so I skipped those parts.

Anyway, definitely not a bad book at all (love me a space story), but not my 10 yo's cup of tea.

kateg1516's review against another edition

emotional hopeful mysterious sad fast-paced

creedmk's review against another edition

An interesting take on an end of the world story.  Petra is a wonderful main character to follow, and her desire to be a cuentista (storyteller) when everyone else thinks that is not worthwhile makes her such a layered character.  There are some twists and turns that I didn't see coming in this story, and the language is beautiful.

superbaub's review against another edition

adventurous dark hopeful inspiring mysterious sad tense medium-paced

izzys_internet_bookshelf's review against another edition

DNF

Couldn’t get past the writing

barizley's review against another edition

I’m don’t read a lot of YA or sci-fi, so this is not a very informed review. But I did read the book.

The promise was super interesting, and I loved the themes of identity, storytelling, and family history. The author poses, or at least hints at, some compelling philosophical questions, but I wish she’d spent more time there and less time with the space botany and other sci-fi stuff that dragggggged the book along. But again, saying the book lacked some depth and had too much space cowboys jargon might be evidence that I don’t know much about YA or sci-fi.

3/3.5 rounded to 4 stars because the basic ideas are fantastic even if the execution was not stellar (sci-fi joke).

miw6's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense fast-paced

millercr427's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

jabnj's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful lighthearted reflective sad fast-paced