That Summer by Sarah Dessen

kdepuy's review against another edition

I believe this was Sarah Dessen's very first book. I have to say, I was impressed with this very early work. My only complaint is that it's on the short side - I feel like she could have developed the story even more, as it seems as though Haven's mini breakdown was a little rushed. It just resolved itself a bit too quickly/cleanly. But, good quick beach read for the summer.

zaakira24's review against another edition

Meh. Have I finally outgrown YA literature?

I could not relate to this book at all. Although it does remind me of the type of books that I used to find in our local library growing up. And since this book was published in the mid 90's perhaps fits right in. So possibly YA authors have just upped their game in recent years and everyone was mediocre back then?

samanthadawn's review against another edition

funny lighthearted reflective fast-paced

thebookhaze's review against another edition

It was ok, Sarah Dessen is a great writer, and I love most of her books, I just didn't really like this particular story. Not that it's bad, just that it's not what I was looking for. =)

cburgbennett's review against another edition

Given this was Sarah Dessen's first novel...I didn't like it as much as her other books. When you have Just Listen and Along for the Ride to compare it with, this is her weakest book.

alidy's review against another edition

challenging emotional sad tense medium-paced

courtknee__vn's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective fast-paced

Finally starting my Sarah Dessen rereads (and first reads for 3 including this one!) and I’m just so happy to be back in her worlds! While I think I would’ve loved this more if I had actually read it as a teenager, it was still a solid debut and made me feel the same way all of Sarah’s books have! I was able to relate to Haven a lot in the way that she tried to make sure everyone around her was happy even when she wasn’t, in the way she tried to shrink into herself as she grew more and more, and feeling so far behind everyone around her. Can’t wait to continue this journey down memory lane with Someone Like You up next!

dogayye15's review against another edition

lacestow7's review against another edition

This book is an okay first novel, but is definitely not Sarah Dessen’s best. The plot moves slowly, and not a lot really happens.

Haven is 15, and stuck in the past. She keeps thinking back to times when her parents were together, and seemed happy, and when her sister was different. Haven has had a lot of changes in a short period of time, and that can be a lot for a teenager to handle.

There isn’t really romance in this book. It’s more a coming-of-age story than a romance. Haven definitely does some growing up, and has that moment where things just change. She goes from being naive, and holding everything in, to finally coming into her own and standing up for herself. It’s nice to see this transition, and her growth.

I did get a bit annoyed with Haven before this transition though, because she was so hung up on one of her sister’s exes, Sumner. It was almost like she was in love with him, too. But I think she was more in love with what she thought he signified, which was happiness within her family, but she finds out that what she thought about Sumner is not really true. He isn’t the perfect boyfriend she thought he was, and this helps Haven to move on.

I think most people can relate to how Haven was feeling in this book, and recommend this book for Dessen fans.

It is nice to look back on good times, and reminisce and enjoy them, but try not to romanticize them too much like Haven, or you’ll never move forward.

traceyanneg's review against another edition

This is a classic coming of age story, 'nuff said. A teen's sister is getting married in the midst of her parent's divorce. She's finding her place in the world and, as it the experience for most teens, it is painful. For what this book is, it is wonderful.