Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

aerial_amanda's review against another edition

So, it made it to my favorites. Where is #2???

hmcreading's review against another edition

adventurous dark hopeful tense fast-paced

baconlettuce19's review

Shut up, Cas. You're not special and you treat everyone around you like crap.

blazybabushka's review against another edition

Reminiscent of Supernatural, it starts of slow and the writing style is tough to jump into. If you let yourself get past that first part of the book, you'll be captured in it and hanging on each page. Another great story by Kendare Blake, can't wait to start the second book.

ginnynanny1968's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

jenni_elyse's review against another edition

I’ve never read a ghost story before. And, now having read one, I have no idea why. Anna Dressed in Blood was a fun adventure and I can't wait for the sequel.

thelilredhead's review against another edition

The author used the first person present tense which made the flow of the book choppy and juvenile sounding. I get what she was trying to do but it wasn't working and at that point in writing she should've rewritten it in a different tense. Since I'm into audiobook listening I literally hear the word rather than read it. And on the note of audiobook listening, I hated the reader. Hated him. But whatever. Moving on.

lctavella's review against another edition

OVERALL RATING 4.5 STARS

I really enjoyed this book but I just couldn't give it the full 5 stars. However, I should mention that this book actually managed to scare me silly at some points. I was unable to read the book at night, instead I saved it for the daytime since it was too horrific to read when it was dark out! So I would 100% categorize this book as horror and adventure. I love how Kendare Blake added in elements of magic and witchcraft, she obviously did her research!

This story follows Cas, a ghost hunter, as he hunts down dangerous ghosts that are still stuck in our world. His father was killed when he was young during a showdown with a powerful spirit and Cas picked up the family ghost-killing knife. He moves to Canada in order to hunt down a famously gruesome ghost, Anna Dressed in Blood. During his hunt he meets the only two friends he's ever known, Thomas and Carmel, and finds there is something special about Anna that makes her different from any other ghost he has ever come in contact with. The plan was supposed to be about killing Anna, but when Cas's father's killer comes back, everyone must join forces to defeat a truly evil force.

I thought the characters were so great and well developed. And I was unable to stop reading. I only have a few critiques on this book that stopped it from getting the full 5 star rating. I didn't understand what was so great about Cas...he walks into school and is automatically able to befriend the most popular girl in school and all the girls suddenly have major crushes on him. I don't really even recall what Cas is supposed to look like. I think the character descriptions should have been more prominent, I can't vividly picture most of the characters (apart from Anna who was described in detail a lot). So I had an issue with how popular Cas was able to become with no effort on his part, it was just unbelievable and I don't like too fantastical elements like that unless they are properly explained as to why they are just irresistible.

The other issue I had with this book is just how quickly Cas was obsessed with Anna. However, this was less of an issue than the one that I previously mentioned. At one point Thomas said that he saw their auras interact and immediately react to one another, so that did satisfy me a bit. If an author wants to pull the 'love-at-first-sight' trope, then I want to really feel the magic and believe it.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I will most likely read the second book in this series. It was a great horror book filled with gory and exciting action scenes!

notenoughpancakes's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

dogmom198611's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced