Siege and Storm, by Leigh Bardugo

ranita3000's review against another edition

3.5 stars

Alina should get off the market bc this boys aint shit

storieswithsoul's review against another edition

Compared to book one, this is so much better. I can't wait to read the next one.

findmeinfantasy's review against another edition

3.5⭐️

This entire series was just “okay” to me. I didn’t particularly love the characters, and the plot was lacking at some parts. It just didn’t have the intrigue that some other fantasy series, like SJM’s, Kingdom of the Wicked, or Cruel Prince have. Not saying you won’t like this if you love those series, but in my opinion, it was missing that “wow” factor in my opinion.

(copy & pasted for all 3 books because none of them were memorable enough for their own reviews in my experience)

plutoally's review against another edition

Fascinating plot, shame about the whiny childish protagonists.

Nikolai >>>>>

layabrary's review against another edition

The 3 stars are for Nikolai and Nikolai only.

winterdelight's review against another edition

I need more of Sturmhond and Nikolai.

meeeee's review against another edition

OMG IT IS FINALLY OVER ! I literally put two f*ucking month to finish this book, I love you Leigh Bardugo but this book was BORINGGGGG. I hated every character in this except Nikolai and the siblings, HOW MANY TIMES DID I THOUGHT ABOUT KILLING MAL, for God sake please warn me when a book is this bad. And I hate the fact that I hate it considering the fact that Six Of Crows is probably one of the best book I've read this year.
AND THE END OMG I HATE THIS TROPE ! (please kill me this book is traumatizing and I will probably never read the third one)

eni_e's review against another edition

I wasn’t sure I was going to finish this book, but somehow I did and I’m confused on how I feel about it. On one side, I really enjoyed the ending and the action, but on the other side I hated the love triangle and angst and the beginning.

In this book, Alina passes from Grisha to saint, although her motivations are equally as unstable, she goes with the young prince of Ravka to the capital to take over the Grisha army and save the kingdom. She spends the entire book pretending she’s a smart, strong leader, while brooding over why Mal doesn’t accept her for the power-hungry contradictory girl she is.

The beginning was so slow and tedious I abandoned the book for months. Perhaps that was because Alina and Mal are insufferable, both individually and together. The angst between them feels old, their problems repetitive; the author keeps dragging their breakup. I mean, why would she want to be with this boring, plain, insecure soldier when she has this brilliant, sarcastic prince-inventor Nikolai?

I really enjoyed the ending, the way Alina seized control and almost defeated the Darkling, although, I ship them together. You know, sun and moon and all that. It would be much more interesting to have them together ruling a dark Ravka than them being enemies.

I am not a big fan of Alina though. She is too plain, she is no fun as a PoV, she is no fun whatsoever. She lacks personality.

The twin brothers that become Alina’s personal guard were great to have around. They were both bad-ass and protected their friend unquestioningly. Although I’m not sure that sort of loyalty comes in such a short time as the one these 3 spent together.

The prince whose story I won’t spoil was a very interesting and refreshing character. He’s a natural leader, he’s actually smart and does something to protect his country like an actual ruler. He loves his nation, and wants to save it because of that. Not like Alina, who never knows why she does what she does.

I have little to say about this book, and I’m not sure I want to read the next one, because I’m pretty sure what’s going to happen. I suppose I’ll read it because I have a pathological need to finish every book and series I start; at least those that are decently written.

napolietc's review against another edition

adventurous tense fast-paced

npp1236's review against another edition

I really enjoy this series and Alina BUTtTtT I do see why some people stop reading after the second book. That being said, I will continue because I have hope that things will get even more interesting. I won't be able to leave the Grishaverse that easily.