deadbookishsociety's review against another edition

Okay what can i say about this anthology which would be enough. It was filled with love stuck people who left my heart into a fuzz .
Honestly picked up this book for Mason Deaver but every single story was written with such beauty that I loved it through out .
People like me who love fast romcoms , would love how each story didn't stretch out a lot but still was it's own complete world .

nihaarikasingh's review

Fools in Love was an utterly refreshing anthology that I absolutely loved. I started reading it at 8PM and I finished it by 11PM. Every story was so beautiful and so well written, that I just did not want to stop reading. And so, I finished this all in one setting. Every author has created such interesting characters and even in the span of a few short pages, you can't help but fall in love with them all. I'm a sucker for romance so I don't think I could pick one favorite story. But seriously though, everyone should read this. I think you'll find yourself connecting to one character, at least.

thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the e-arc!

shawnna_reads2's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted slow-paced

annawilson's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

Teed Up by Gloria Chao 3 stars
Boys Noise by Mason Deaver 3 stars
Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Malinda Lo  5 stars
Disaster by Rebecca Podos 4 stars

Mini summaries of the stories (bc sometimes I forget immediately what they are about 😅)

Silver and Gold by Natasha Ngan
-dog sled race there 2 girls get caught in a snow storm and rekindle a past hookup

Five Stars by Amy Spalding
-a cute popular girls mistakenly gets into a car with the new girl. They get to know each other & kiss

Unfortunately, Blobs Do Not Eat Snacks by Rebecca Kim Wells
-two girls off to take their final magical exam when they find themselves in trouble

Edges by Ashley Herring Blake
-a girls sister moves to another school is faced with her loneliness. She tutors another girl & finds love and a way to not feel so alone

What Makes Us Heroes by Julian Winters
-one hero waiting in a coffee shop for his ex to show up only for his arch enemy to show up & save him from his ex

And by Hannah Moskowitz
-told in 2nd person about a girl who discovers she has feelings for another boy & her current bf

My Best Friend’s Girl by Sara Farizan
-a superhero’s best friend has a crush on his gf. While he’s constantly making up excuses, the friend falls for the gf

(Fairy) Like Attracts Like by Claire Kann
-2 girls at a fairy camp who both like each other but can’t say it out loud. MC has a “curse” where she can’t lie

These Strings by Lilliam Rivera
-in the family business, the son is always the one to carry on the tradition. Lili would like to take over & she falls for her brothers bff

The Passover Date by Laura Silverman
-it’s the family’s tradition to bring a date to sedar dinner. Rachel’s never brought a date but this year is different. She’s brought a fake date & he’s brought a giant wheel of cheese

Bloom by Rebecca Barrow
-a time traveling girl goes back to enact revenge on the man who killed her mother, only to meet a girl. She spends the rest of her time trying to find her again

Teed Up by Gloria Chao
-a girl plays in a golf tournament & a boy helps loosen her up & not take things so seriously

Boys Noise by Mason Deaver
-labeled as the one bed trope but it’s not. Two boys travel to nyc & realize they both have feelings for each other

Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Malinda Lo
-cinder esque story about a princess who escapes for a night & falls for a girl. They get noodles & dance

Disaster by Rebecca Podos
-an asteroid is headed for earth. Two girls sort out their feelings for each other before the world ends

readshppily's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective relaxing fast-paced

3.5 stars for Fools In Love: Fresh Twists on Romantic Tales

These are the compilations of 15 short love stories written by 15 authors which are really light hearted and easy to read! I love how these are filled with different genres like fantasy, contemporary, sci-fi. Plus, it is fill with great representations.

I would love to review each one of the story but I don't think I remember much of all of the stories because they are way too many. All I can say that I enjoyed most of them. They do have some flaws in certain stories but it was such a great experience.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for providing me the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

bookish_flaneur's review

ARC review - Fools in Love
(pub date Dec 7)

my rating: 5 stars
genres: short stories, romance, lgbtqia+
age: 13+ (-intimacy)

this book reminded me of the power of short stories. in just a few pages per story, i fell in love with every character as they, too, fell in love. the diversity in this book was amazing, and I would definitely recommend it if you want to diversify your bookshelf :) honestly no cons at all. there was a mix of contemporary, fantasy, sci fi so there is something for every reader. i will be buying this book :) scroll for short summaries of each story (each plays on a well-known romance trope

snowed in together
a beautiful commentary on taking the second step in a relationship, but with fantasy and wolves!

mistaken identity
a cute feel-good romance full of musical songs and awkwardness

unfortunately, blobs do not eat snacks
a magical assignment turns into something more sinister, tense and mysterious with some well-written romance

edges
a beautiful exploration of what it means to be out, and respecting boundaries, definitely one of my favourites :)

what makes us heroes
a well-written story that shows just how heroic villains can be

and
a cute story about a real life love triangle, polygamy and everything :)

my best friend’s girl
a beautiful commentary on knowing when somebody is the one

(fairy)like attracts like
a romance so cute, it is a fairytale :)

these strings
a coming of age story about having confidence to make a move

the passover date
a wonderfully heartwarming jewish play on the fake dating trope

bloom
a touching story about missed connections, recommend this one for plant lovers :)

teed up
a cute sporty story for golf lovers

boys noise
THE ONE BED TROPE need i say more? freaking beautiful

girls just want to have fun
space. secret royalty. an inticing romance that will never be... or will it?

disaster
the end of the world is imminent - can you reunite with a lost love?

lizzie2002's review against another edition

Thank you Netgalley for providing an ARC for this book in exchange for an honest review.
Fools in Love is a compilation of romance stories based on cliches, but with a new twist. Each one of them has a different tint to it and manages to keep you captivated even if they're short.
The diversity in each of the stories is magnificient, not only regarding the lgbtq+ community, but also about race, culture and religion. They are sensitive and thoughtful, the characters feel real and human, not just a character in a new story.
Each of the authors has an unique way to make you feel connected to their stories, wheter they're sci-fi, fantasy, romance, etc.
My favorite was Five Stars, by Amy Spalding, and I'm eager to read more of her works.
Silver and Gold: 4/5
Teed up: 3/5
Boys noice: 4/5
Girls just want to have fun: 3.5/5
Disaster: 4/5
Overall, an amazing and promising compilation with great authors, diversity and interesting twists!

chinu's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

kieraisreading's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

Fools in Love is a cute and fun romance short story collection. I loved the diversity in this book! The stories featured characters from all walks of life, great LGBTQ+ rep!
The selection of authors was great, and I discovered so many new authors who I would like to read from in the future.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a fun, romantic read.

1quillb's review

15 short stories, a majority of them with queer main characters, each written by a different author. Some are fantasy, some contemporary, all of them breathtakingly beautiful romances.

This was a wonderful collection of stories. My favourite were “Five Stars”, “What Makes Us Heroes”, and “Boys Noise”. These were all such romantic short stories, and I absolutely loved that there was so much representation in all of them. Reading this made me feel seen. I had only recognised two of the authors when I picked this up (Natasha Ngan and Malinda Lo), so reading this was a great chance for me to branch out more.

My individual ratings of the stories:

Silver and Gold by Natasha Ngan - 4.3/5
Teed Up, Gloria Chao - 3.4/5
Boys Noise, Mason Deaver - 4.6/5
Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Malinda Lo - 4/5
Disaster, Rebecca Podos - 3.9/5

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for sending me an ARC of this book!