shawnna_reads2's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted slow-paced

annawilson's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

Teed Up by Gloria Chao 3 stars
Boys Noise by Mason Deaver 3 stars
Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Malinda Lo  5 stars
Disaster by Rebecca Podos 4 stars

Mini summaries of the stories (bc sometimes I forget immediately what they are about 😅)

Silver and Gold by Natasha Ngan
-dog sled race there 2 girls get caught in a snow storm and rekindle a past hookup

Five Stars by Amy Spalding
-a cute popular girls mistakenly gets into a car with the new girl. They get to know each other & kiss

Unfortunately, Blobs Do Not Eat Snacks by Rebecca Kim Wells
-two girls off to take their final magical exam when they find themselves in trouble

Edges by Ashley Herring Blake
-a girls sister moves to another school is faced with her loneliness. She tutors another girl & finds love and a way to not feel so alone

What Makes Us Heroes by Julian Winters
-one hero waiting in a coffee shop for his ex to show up only for his arch enemy to show up & save him from his ex

And by Hannah Moskowitz
-told in 2nd person about a girl who discovers she has feelings for another boy & her current bf

My Best Friend’s Girl by Sara Farizan
-a superhero’s best friend has a crush on his gf. While he’s constantly making up excuses, the friend falls for the gf

(Fairy) Like Attracts Like by Claire Kann
-2 girls at a fairy camp who both like each other but can’t say it out loud. MC has a “curse” where she can’t lie

These Strings by Lilliam Rivera
-in the family business, the son is always the one to carry on the tradition. Lili would like to take over & she falls for her brothers bff

The Passover Date by Laura Silverman
-it’s the family’s tradition to bring a date to sedar dinner. Rachel’s never brought a date but this year is different. She’s brought a fake date & he’s brought a giant wheel of cheese

Bloom by Rebecca Barrow
-a time traveling girl goes back to enact revenge on the man who killed her mother, only to meet a girl. She spends the rest of her time trying to find her again

Teed Up by Gloria Chao
-a girl plays in a golf tournament & a boy helps loosen her up & not take things so seriously

Boys Noise by Mason Deaver
-labeled as the one bed trope but it’s not. Two boys travel to nyc & realize they both have feelings for each other

Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Malinda Lo
-cinder esque story about a princess who escapes for a night & falls for a girl. They get noodles & dance

Disaster by Rebecca Podos
-an asteroid is headed for earth. Two girls sort out their feelings for each other before the world ends

readshppily's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective relaxing fast-paced

3.5 stars for Fools In Love: Fresh Twists on Romantic Tales

These are the compilations of 15 short love stories written by 15 authors which are really light hearted and easy to read! I love how these are filled with different genres like fantasy, contemporary, sci-fi. Plus, it is fill with great representations.

I would love to review each one of the story but I don't think I remember much of all of the stories because they are way too many. All I can say that I enjoyed most of them. They do have some flaws in certain stories but it was such a great experience.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for providing me the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

bookish_flaneur's review

ARC review - Fools in Love
(pub date Dec 7)

my rating: 5 stars
genres: short stories, romance, lgbtqia+
age: 13+ (-intimacy)

this book reminded me of the power of short stories. in just a few pages per story, i fell in love with every character as they, too, fell in love. the diversity in this book was amazing, and I would definitely recommend it if you want to diversify your bookshelf :) honestly no cons at all. there was a mix of contemporary, fantasy, sci fi so there is something for every reader. i will be buying this book :) scroll for short summaries of each story (each plays on a well-known romance trope

snowed in together
a beautiful commentary on taking the second step in a relationship, but with fantasy and wolves!

mistaken identity
a cute feel-good romance full of musical songs and awkwardness

unfortunately, blobs do not eat snacks
a magical assignment turns into something more sinister, tense and mysterious with some well-written romance

edges
a beautiful exploration of what it means to be out, and respecting boundaries, definitely one of my favourites :)

what makes us heroes
a well-written story that shows just how heroic villains can be

and
a cute story about a real life love triangle, polygamy and everything :)

my best friend’s girl
a beautiful commentary on knowing when somebody is the one

(fairy)like attracts like
a romance so cute, it is a fairytale :)

these strings
a coming of age story about having confidence to make a move

the passover date
a wonderfully heartwarming jewish play on the fake dating trope

bloom
a touching story about missed connections, recommend this one for plant lovers :)

teed up
a cute sporty story for golf lovers

boys noise
THE ONE BED TROPE need i say more? freaking beautiful

girls just want to have fun
space. secret royalty. an inticing romance that will never be... or will it?

disaster
the end of the world is imminent - can you reunite with a lost love?

lizzie2002's review against another edition

Thank you Netgalley for providing an ARC for this book in exchange for an honest review.
Fools in Love is a compilation of romance stories based on cliches, but with a new twist. Each one of them has a different tint to it and manages to keep you captivated even if they're short.
The diversity in each of the stories is magnificient, not only regarding the lgbtq+ community, but also about race, culture and religion. They are sensitive and thoughtful, the characters feel real and human, not just a character in a new story.
Each of the authors has an unique way to make you feel connected to their stories, wheter they're sci-fi, fantasy, romance, etc.
My favorite was Five Stars, by Amy Spalding, and I'm eager to read more of her works.
Silver and Gold: 4/5
Teed up: 3/5
Boys noice: 4/5
Girls just want to have fun: 3.5/5
Disaster: 4/5
Overall, an amazing and promising compilation with great authors, diversity and interesting twists!

chinu's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

kieraisreading's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

Fools in Love is a cute and fun romance short story collection. I loved the diversity in this book! The stories featured characters from all walks of life, great LGBTQ+ rep!
The selection of authors was great, and I discovered so many new authors who I would like to read from in the future.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a fun, romantic read.

1quillb's review

15 short stories, a majority of them with queer main characters, each written by a different author. Some are fantasy, some contemporary, all of them breathtakingly beautiful romances.

This was a wonderful collection of stories. My favourite were “Five Stars”, “What Makes Us Heroes”, and “Boys Noise”. These were all such romantic short stories, and I absolutely loved that there was so much representation in all of them. Reading this made me feel seen. I had only recognised two of the authors when I picked this up (Natasha Ngan and Malinda Lo), so reading this was a great chance for me to branch out more.

My individual ratings of the stories:

Silver and Gold by Natasha Ngan - 4.3/5
Teed Up, Gloria Chao - 3.4/5
Boys Noise, Mason Deaver - 4.6/5
Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Malinda Lo - 4/5
Disaster, Rebecca Podos - 3.9/5

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for sending me an ARC of this book!

anniekslibrary's review against another edition

I normally end up reading anthologies one story at a time, and it usually takes me quite a while to get through them. I could not put this one down though - I would finish one story and then be like: "oh! That next story sounds amazing!!"
 Natasha Ngan - Silver and Gold ("Snowed in Together") 5/5

This was just a perfect short story. Perfect. It's a sapphic story about two girls competing against each other in a deadly race, which is the coolest concept ever and which would be amazing to read a full-length novel about. Here we're just getting one night of the race, so we're not really getting the beginning or ending, and it works incredibly well. I always love stories about people who find each other in harsh environments and have to learn to be soft together, and this story had me really wanting that for the main character.
 Amy Spalding - Five Stars ("Mistaken Identity") 5/5

This story starts off so funny, with the main character's crush mistaking her for her ride share driver. And the rest of the story is just as hilarious, because instead of correcting the mistake, the main character of course drives her to her destination instead. As one does. This is again a sapphic story, yay!

"OMG KRISTA YOU KIDNAPPED YOUR FIRST IRL CRUSH BUT STILL MANAGED TO GET HER NUMBER? You are a hero for awkward girls everywhere."
 Rebecca Kim Wells - Unfortunately, Blobs Do Not Eat Snacks ("Kissing Under the Influence") 3/5

This is the only new-to-me author in this anthology, so it was fun reading from them. This was again a sapphic story, and I did have fun reading it, although I definitely enjoyed it less than the previous two stories. The reason for that is two-fold: I didn't like the writing style that much, and I found the story lacked some necessary context and world-building. Again we're thrown in the middle of the story, which is fine but that does make it important to give a clear setting and we just didn't get that here. I did like how the trope was handled when it actually was, but it took quite some time and I felt like it was over again quite soon as well. Overall I feel like this was more a (one-sided) enemies to lovers story.
 Ashley Herring Blake - Edges ("The Grumpy and the Soft One") 5/5

Another sapphic story! Ashley Herring Blake is one of my favourite authors, and the soft vs. grumpy trope is my current favourite trope, so this story was a 5 star prediction for me and of course I was right! For how short this was, this story was chockfull of emotion and I almost cried. It's about the importance of communicating your wants and needs in a relationship and sometimes your own lack of self worth can get in the way of how you treat others, because you'll make assumptions about what they do or don't want from you.
 Julian Winters - What Makes Us Heroes ("Hero vs. Villain") 4/5

Julian Winters is another one of my favourite authors, and since he usually writes contemporary, it was really fun to read a superhero story from him! This is an achillean story and I really liked the exploration of what makes someone a villain and, again, how quick people can be to make assumptions. I would have like to see a little more world-building, though, but this was some solid fun!
 Hannah Moskowitz - And ("Love Triangle") 2/5

I very much appreciate this story for making the love triangle into a polyamorous relationship. And the 2 stars is honestly all me, but I just cannot stand reading from second person POV. I find it very uncomfortable to read and very pretentious, and it's almost never done well. Seriously, the only time I liked it was in The Night Circus. So it's really all me, but yeah, I didn't like this.
 Sara Farizan - My Best Friend's Girl ("Best Friend's Girlfriend") 3/5

Another sapphic story, and another superhero story! Unfortunately, this one fell kind of flat for me. It was very much okay but it didn't make much of an impact. Aside from that, I felt like we got to know the main character's best friend better than his girlfriend, which made it kind of hard to become invested in the romance.
 Claire Kann - (Fairy)Like Attracts Like ("Mutual Pining") 3/5

Another sapphic story, this time about a fat Black fairy who works at a summercamp for fairies. I found the set-up for this story to be really fun, but unfortunately I didn't quite feel the pining - it all felt a little underdeveloped.
 Lilliam Rivera - These Strings ("Sibling's Hot Best Friend") 3/5

Again, I really liked the set-up of the story - this time of a Latinx puppeteering family. I'm really not a fan of brothers (physically) fighting their sister's (potential) boyfriends, though. I find it really possessive and condescending, as if they own her and she can't make up her own mind. So that made me enjoy this story a lot less.
 Laura Silverman - The Passover Date ("Fake Dating") 4/5

This m/f story is about a Jewish family celebrating Seder. Rachel is fed up with her family always trying to push her into a romantic relationship and asking her why she hasn't brought a date, so she comes up with the only viable solution known to romance stories: FAKE DATING. This happens to be one of my favourite tropes and this was such a cute story!
 Rebecca Barrow - Bloom ("Love Transcends Space Time") 5/5

I don't even really know what to say about this story, other than that it was perfection and my heart is full. It's about grief, and trying to get back what you lost only to find something else in the process. It has cottagecore vibes, there's time travel, it's sapphic, it was just so good!
 Gloria Chao - Teed Up ("Oblivious to Lovers") 2/5

This story was very much okay - it's about a Taiwanese-American girl who's a female golf player in a male-dominated and very sexist field - but it just didn't do much for me. It honestly bored me a little and I kept finding myself zoning out. It also seemed quite convenient that she falls in love with the one guy who's nice to her, the bar is just so low. I just didn't see the appeal, I guess. I also didn't really see much of the trope, personally.
 Mason Deaver - Boys Noise ("Only One Bed at the Inn") 4/5

After If This Gets Out, I've been really craving more boyband romances, so this was a really great story! It wasn't quite 5 stars for me as I found that all the issues were glossed over too quickly and I found the writing style somewhat lacking at times, but despite that, I still really enjoyed this.
 Malinda Lo - Girls Just Want to Have Fun ("Secret Royalty") 3/5

This story was off to a rocky start for me, and overall, the writing style didn't quite work for me. I did however think this was a really cute story that used the trope very well! I especially liked the sci-fi setting.
 Rebecca Podos - Disaster ("Second Chance Romance") 3/5

I did really like the melancholical atmosphere of this story. It was again a sapphic story, set in summer, and, like the trope said, with a second chance romance. I really like a second chance romance, but my issue here was that I didn't like the main character very much, so I had a hard time rooting for the romance.

mazee's review against another edition

inspiring lighthearted slow-paced

Except from knowing what tropes would be in the stories and that it was (obviously) about love, i did not know much about what would be inside this anthology. The premise does a very poor job at describing the book. This book contains 13 love stories about the reimagining of the most popular tropes in romance like fake dating, enemies to lovers, one bed trope, friends to lovers, all tropes that YA loves! There’s strong lgbtq+ rep and some stories have POC rep. I have to say this book is cute and the cover is really pretty (which is actually what drew me to it).

As much as i liked a few stories, and just like in any anthology i guess, some stories stood stronger than others. Not every story is going to appeal to you, so keep an open mind about that. The different genres not being described in the premise is definitely a turn off. A reader might pick up the book thinking it’s all contemporary romance but then there’s fantasy and magical schools and space royals. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, cause that might make it more appealing to some readers but it’s something that should be told in the synopsis and not something you discover when you open the book like surprise! Personally, the SFF elements in some short stories derailed me from the story more than get me interested in it. It’s mostly due to the fact that the world building in these short stories was well… quite a mess. It’s not because it’s a short story that the world building has to be lacking this tremendously, at some point I was more focused on understanding the setting and the world than the characters and their relationship (which should be the focus). I don’t know if it’s an unspoken rule when it comes to SFF short stories that the world building automatically don’t matter anymore and i’m just not aware of it, but if so then i’ll pass

I like characters and the relationships between these characters to have depths no matter the genre. I also felt like some relationship and love declarations were rushed and maybe it’s due to the nature of the book but that’s how i felt at least. Some characters felt a bit flat, some totally generic and more annoying than anything. Some relationships were great and i liked how some ended at the beginning of these I could empathize with a few characters tho even if i didn’t really understand the way they were doing things (+1 point). Overall, i really do feel like it just may be my preferences clashing with the anthology’s elements. I don’t like rushed relationships, rushed stories, yes these are short stories but short stories = does not equal rushes stories, and the majority unfortunately felt like that to me

Frankly i’m not entirely sure anthologies are for me as i’m not much of a fan of short stories but this time i thought “why not?”, and well… no, so i might just pass on them in the future.

Objectively speaking, this anthology could be great for someone especially if you’re looking for quick (some did felt dragged on tho…) and not too complicated love stories. Its audience is here definitely, i’m just not part of that audience.