Reviews tagging Child abuse

Memphis, by Tara M. Stringfellow

shoshthemost's review

emotional inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

smallsurvivor's review

challenging emotional reflective sad tense slow-paced

devynhinds's review

challenging emotional reflective tense medium-paced

tiasreads's review

challenging emotional reflective slow-paced

bookshelf_al's review

emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced

skoppelkam's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad fast-paced

For years, I taught iconic books such as Toni Morrison's "The Bluest Eye" and Alice Walker's "The Color Purple" to my high school students. These books are essential, iconic, and represent Black women authors who changed literature forever. That said, so many of the stories about Black families in the 1900s are intensely traumatic. Now that I've read Memphis, I wish I could teach it as a companion to one of those texts. This is a story that, like the aforementioned, features a horrific sexual assault at its center (content warning necessary: child sexual abuse), but unlike them, shows what approaching healing looks like for all parties involved. Memphis is a multi-generational novel, which can be confusing, but Stringfellow is masterful as she leaps back in forth in time, never leaving the reader wondering who they are with or where they are. The four women that the novel focuses on are characters I fell in love with, each with their own unique brilliance and struggle. I loved the depictions of laughter, familial ribbing, and community care. This is a new favorite for sure, and I'll read whatever Tara M. Stringfellow writes next.

snahach's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful sad tense medium-paced
I think I am going to refrain from giving this one a star rating right now. I liked parts of this book and then parts of it were a little difficult to follow. I am not sure if I liked the structure as I thought it was a bit jumpy and made it harder to really connect with the characters. Also, please check content warnings on this one.

bookishplantmom's review

I’d like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy of this book for review purposes.

Let me first say that I think this story is beautifully written. Or at least the part of it that I read had some lovely bits of writing in it. I went into this book expecting it to be emotional but not prepared for it to be triggering. Given the synopsis of the novel I was wholly unprepared for the level of Black trauma that would unfold. I personally would not have picked up this book to begin with had I been aware of its contents. This isn't to say there isn't a place for this story, au contraire, it is certainly important to explore these topics and tell stories of perseverance and strength among Black women. However, given my line of work and the type of information I ingest on the daily, I tend to avoid these topics in my leisurely reading for my mental health. I need space to breathe and to recover from the heaviness of my research. This is why I'm choosing no to finish this book.

midnightverde's review

emotional medium-paced

A multigenerational masterpiece that spans decades. The trauma revealed early on nearly broke me, it was very difficult to read, but I continued, knowing all too well that horrific abuse happens to so many. I loved the perseverance of each and every North woman and all the supporting characters who were loving members of the Memphis community. And as a person raised in the south, reading the colloquial terms “all y’all” and “your daddy and ‘em” brought me back.

eguy's review