Allegiant, by Veronica Roth

gregsgal's review

This book in the series was hard for me - harder to get into, harder to get through, harder to focus on. In part, this was because of the Tris/Tobias romance. At times I felt it was so prominent and stalled any progession in the story.

Things I liked:
1. Growth in characters' relationships, specifically Caleb and Tris. It's understandable that they would have a love/hate relationship since they're siblings, but then add in the experiences from the last book, and it would be odd not to hold a grudge or have a chip on your shoulder. I liked that Tris struggled with herself about whether to love him and forgive him or hate him and not care what happens to him. I also liked that it took time for her to decide; that it wasn't a quick "booo, I'm mad at him" [take a breath and eat a piece of pie] "and look! now everything is better!" kind of decision for her either.

2. Christina - she lends a fair amount of reason to the other characters when they're being unreasonable. I also liked the friendship she creates with Tobias. It felt real considering the circumstances.

3. The twist.
Spoiler I did like that their world turns out to be an experiment and that there are other cities across the country in similar situations for the sole purpose of fixing the population's genetic code.

4. That other twist.
SpoilerCan I tell you how strangely thrilled I was that Tris dies? How often does the main character die in a YA book?!
There were more than two twists or surprising revelationns and I enjoyed all of them. These two in particular were my favorite.

Things I didn't like:
1. The romance. Ok, I didn't hate it, I just felt like it could have been dialed down. I think I just fall more in the "action book, minimal romance-y type stuff" rather than "action book that centers around a fledgling romance in which the two people feel like they can't exist without the other." I don't think this book fell hard in the latter type, but it was in there pretty well.

2. Tris' apparent invincibility. It got old hearing about how nothing seemed to cripple her.

3. The third book goes back and forth between Tris and Tobias narrating (differentiated by headings at the beginning of each chapter). By the end of the book I understood why it was written this way, but it seemed odd until that point. I also felt like writing it this way made Tris and Tobias sound very similar. Their characters didn't stand out as two entities as easily as they had in the previous books and I had some difficulty remembering who was supposed to be narrating that particular chapter because their voices seemed so alike.

bibliofiendlm's review

Mixed thoughts on this. I already knew how it ended. My problem remains with the radical change in storytelling versus the first two books. While well written, this missed the mark for me and had I been the writer or editor, I would have approached the structure in a far different manner.

deannawong's review

"We mend each other."

Things I liked:
- EVERYTHING about the last 100 pages.
- The way most of the characters (mainly the secondary/minor ones) evolved and changed: especially Cara, Johanna, Peter and Evelyn.
- Tobias/Four's obsessive side. It was shown in the two previous books, but I think it was so much more noticeable due to the alternating point of views. The latter also made it seem like the book revolved more around him than Tris.

Things I didn't like:
- The plot is very repetitive and unmemorable (half of it could be cut and not much would change). If only this book was only half its actual size:'(.
- Tris was sooooo annoying at the beginning.
- The experiments' backstory is not very believable, and neither is the whole GP vs GD thing.

dellixson's review against another edition

I was so disappointed with this book. I was barely able to finish it. What a disappointing finale :(

ravenkiller88's review against another edition

It is just too disappointing for me to describe.....not just the ending but the book as a whole. The only part that is interesting was that Miss Roth added Tobias POV in this book though.

SpoilerI read one of my friend's review about this book, so....I know Tris was going to die but the way she die is just so disappointing. She died from bullet? She got shot? What the heck? Come on.....she's a Divergent, healed gene and all, got through all sorts of trials and stuff in both Divergent and Insurgent, she just DIED from sacrificing herself instead of Caleb. GOD.....this is so frustrating, and her relationship with Tobias/Four just lost the spark that I got from the previous two books. Where's the sexy and brave Four that I got to know?

Ugh....I don't know what else to say but the word disappointing. I guess I expect too much.

jaimiward's review against another edition

I really didn't think I would like this book because the end was spoiled for me but it turned out being my favourite out of the three. Without a doubt divergent is my favourite dystopian series (even better than the hunger games). I loved how it was so fast paced and the plot changes and twists were so interesting. My only issue with the book is that I didn't like that it was from the view of both Tris and Tobias, I thought the writing style didn't change much so it was hard to tell the difference. In most of Tobias's parts I still though it was from Tris's POV. Having said that I didn't mind Tobias's POV at the end. I understand the criticism with the book because it does end very differently to the other YA dystopian books, but I can't see a better way to do it. I'm extremely happy with the end of this story.

moonlitlex's review against another edition

DAMMIT VERONICA ROTH

skeletor's review

.5 for the ending. This series started with book one being really interesting to two pretty uninteresting slog fests.

shelmahdy_'s review

the ending is really sad thouu

mikbond's review

I didn't like the ending, necessarily. But I can see why the author chose this ending and now I can't really picture it any other way! I was an emotional wreck after this book but I definitely recommend it!