writerreader81's review against another edition

Took me too long to read this but glad I took my time. Was able to enjoy each story that way! I love seeing the collaborators from The Bane Chronicles and a newcomer come together for this set of stories set in my favorite fantasy world.

helenephoebe's review against another edition

Review - I was a little disappointed by this addition to the Shadowhunter universe because I felt like it was a series of stories that were only vaguely linked, whereas Cassandra Clare's previous short story collections ([b:The Bane Chronicles|16303287|The Bane Chronicles|Cassandra Clare|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1395159015l/16303287._SY75_.jpg|22436394] and [b:Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy|28954137|Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy|Cassandra Clare|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1454864103l/28954137._SY75_.jpg|46924845]) seemed a lot more together. The stories are said to be about the lost Herondale line, but some of the links between the stories are tenuous at best. I did, however, enjoy the different views of Jem as Brother Zachariah and then when he returns to a fully 'human' form as Jem Carstairs. That was really interesting, as was his relationship with Tessa and then Kit. Worth reading if you enjoy the Shadowhunter universe, but make sure you've at least read the Dark Artifices series so that you understand some of the background.

Genre? - Fantasy / Sci Fi

Characters? - Jem Carstairs / Tessa Gray / Alec Lightwood / Magnus Bane / Rosemary / Will Herondale / Catarina Loss / Stephen Herondale / Anna Lightwood / Matthew Fairchild / Kit Herondale

Setting? - New York, Chattanooga & Los Angeles (U.S.A.) & Buenos Aires (Brazil) & Paris (France) & London (England)

Series? - N/A

Recommend? – Yes

Rating - 15/20

annesbooks's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? No

pixila's review against another edition

I loved being able to go back and see where Tessa and Jem are now and more about Jem's time as a Silent Brother. The short stories were mostly interesting and I liked that they were all connected.
I did not like the Janus short story. Let me explain - I can't wait to see what happens next, however, there will be years before we can see what happens with the Blackthorns and Ash and Janus. I worry for the characters I love. This is gonna give me anxiety.
Out of the 3 short story books, this is the 2nd best in my opinion. Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy is #1, followed by this and Bane Chronicles at a distant 3.
I felt that some stories were REALLY long and unnecessary. But I do knownthat CC used some of them to introduce new characters that will be relevant at other books.
4 stars because I love the universe, but this took me over a week to finish and I honestly wasn't waiting to get home to read it, like I am with other books.

ridley's review against another edition

As usual , 5 stars for Cassandra Clare and all the other authors who have delivered yet another set of exciting short stories within the shadow hunter world.
I enjoyed that they centred around Jem and Tessa (two of my faveorite characters) and explored the search for the lost Herondale (even though we know what happens) but it was exciting to see them get to that point, over the years, while also setting up plotlines for the prequels sequel trilogy and also the final instalment of the Wicked Powers.

The stories flowed at a nice pace, not all full of action but nevertheless exciting, heartwarming and hilarious. (Lilys nicknames for Jem had me in tears, especially when Tessa adopted them)

Absolutely perfect in my opinion. But I will say you will have had to read the other novels in the series to understand what is happening. (The mortal instruments, infernal devices and the dark artifices.) But if you haven't read ANY of them, this is the urban fantasy series you've been looking for 😉

2020 can't come soon enough.

shadowbooker's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny medium-paced
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? No

lunarlesbians's review

3.5 ⭐

oh to be raised by jem carstairs and tessa gray in their beautiful manor house full of books and musical instruments and love

- cast long shadows: 5/5
- the lost world: 3/5
- forever fallen: 4.5/5

jlw_writes's review

4 Stars

I'm not going to go too far into the plot of this one because it contains spoilers for like, FIVE DIFFERENT SERIES. Cassie, you're a monster.

Ok so if you're unaware this book follows Brother Zachariah throughout a century or so of time where he visits different shadow markets all over the globe. During this time he runs into some of our favorite characters from different timelines.

There were a few stories that were happy. There were a few that were really DARK. Some were fun, some were a little boring. It was a great collection overall that I really enjoyed.

I think the best part is that the last few stories really serve as a lead-up for what we can expect to be some of the plot from The Wicked Powers. Also, it was a good little introduction to the characters from The Last Hours as well (though we did see some of them in the other two bind-ups also).

You know when I finished this I was just happy that I didn't have to relive the injustice that is the tragedy of George Lovelace again.

stardustedpages's review against another edition

I started writing down my thoughts for the first five stories, just like I always do with anthologies, but then I kind of stopped?

ofpensandswords's review against another edition

SUMMARY: I really enjoyed reading this book. There were definitely some short stories that I enjoyed more than others, and some characters that I loved more than others, but I think that overall it was a very strong collection of short stories, with each of its components being compelling narratives in their own rights while also contributing to the overarching plot, which is something very difficult to do, and which has been an issue for me when reading similar books in the past. I am giving this book a 4.5/5.

Check out my full review on my blog: https://ofpensandswords.com/ghosts-of-the-shadow-market-review/