ohmydemigod's review against another edition

Read 2021, ratings and reviews on individual stories.

eli_gv's review against another edition

Overall, this bind-up gets 4.5 stars from me. This is by far my favorite companion book Cassie (and her co-authors) have written. I have individual reviews for each novella.

eli_gv's review against another edition

Solid 5 stars to this novella.

I found it really intriguing to see more about who I liked to refer to as "Evil Jace." I liked reading from his perspective, I learned a lot about the depths of pain he endured in Thule. He lost Clary, he lost Alec, he lost Isabelle, he lost everyone and all that was left was Sebastian. He was forced into feeling nothingness for his own benefit. To be stronger. When they take in Ash before Sebastian dies, Janus (Evil Jace) loves the boy, all he has left of his beloved Clary. And while Ash has the power to make anyone and everyone be loyal and trust him entirely, there is a possibility that Janus's devotion exceeds what the Dark Artifices gave Ash. Janus wants Clary, he wants to rid the world of Jace Jace (our universe's Jace), he wants Ash to rule the world.

We see the horrors he went through, losing his parabatai, killing Maryse, how losing Clary drove him to near madness with grief. How all he could depend on was Sebastian.

“Once Sebastian had told Janus that Sebastian was always burning, but it was better when he had Janus, when they were burning together. Now Sebastian was dead, and Janus was still burning.”

We see him tip over the edge, evil and harmful beliefs entangling his brain. Seeing Clary and Jace, Simon and Izzy, Alec with Magnus and their kids. Their joy and comfort.

“For all these years he had been tortured and they had not noticed or cared or missed him.
He would show them what that darkness could be like, one day.”

We also see Kit adjusting to his life with Jem and Tessa, with baby Mina. A bit more lighthearted. I loved their family joke of Read that book/Seen that movie while Jem doesn't know what either of them is talking about. Kit is clearly endeared to Jem, Tessa, and Mina. He also continues to train, making up for all lost time. All the while dealing with the fact that he is hurting over what happened with the Blackthorns, with Ty and Livvy. He feels as if he isn't enough to those around him, always letting them down. From his father to the Blackthorns.

“‘And- and the- and- nobody else has, either. I wasn’t enough, to stop- I wasn’t enough. I’ve never been enough, not for anyone, and I’m trying, but I don’t know if I ever will be.’”

He is still haunted over what happened between him and Ty. How he was not able to stop Ty from bringing Livvy back. How that burden is partly his to bear. Jem being the sweetheart he is, tells Kit that he is enough, and he is loved dearly by Jem, Tessa, and Mina. For Kit to openly cry in front of Jem, we can really see how much he trusts Jem.

It was overall a novella full of heartache, dread, softness and feels.

mardhiahreads's review against another edition

- 1st read (10-18 May 2021)

cecelliiiaaaa's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

gabyf's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense slow-paced

theshadowsofpages's review against another edition

The way this book make my laugh and cry at the same time is why I rank it with 5 solid and well-deserved 5 stars.
Every single story made me fell in love with the characters over and over again. Even with characters I didn’t like in the past! So that’s a lot to said.

I enjoy it A LOT and it has a lot of interesting things that prepare you for the wicked powers ✨

trashxcat's review against another edition

this book (and almost every shadowhunter book I've ever read) was too damn long, but Jem and Tessa

emendelowitz's review

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious medium-paced

literarypapier's review against another edition