The Cold Is in Her Bones by Peternelle van Arsdale

sunshine169's review

One girl must uncover secrets of the past to save her friend from a terrible curse in this dark and mesmerizing story of love, revenge, and redemption inspired by the myth of Medusa.

----------------------------

If you are going into this book thinking it will be about Greek mythology this is not the book for you... however, if you enjoy a creepy fairy tale like story than I recommend you pick this up.

The story is strange but it kept my attention all the way through because I needed closure! I found it very odd that Milla did not freak out when two snakes grew out of her head. She took everything in stride! There is definitely a need for suspended belief when reading this book.

One of my favorite aspects of the story was the friendship between Milla and Iris. It is wonderful to read strong female bonds!

winterfeyforever's review

adventurous slow-paced

jazzblades's review

I have mixed feelings on this one. It's kind of hard to pinpoint my feelings about it. This has been on my tbr for a long time so I am glad I finally got to it. It's also pretty short so I was able to get through it fairly quickly. I did enjoy parts of it and thought it was interesting in terms of the premise and the world. It does have very strong folktale vibes to it. I wasn't really a fan of the pacing, things felt a little disjointed or disconnected maybe. I did like the discussion about expectations that are put on women and how certain communities enforce these expectations and standards and if you stray from them you are punished and seen as bad, wrong, sometimes even evil. I thought that aspect was interesting and was done well in the story. This was fine. Not bad but not a stand out either.

emmasdilemma's review

I definitely appreciate the vibe of the book reading it I felt like I was emerged in a simpler world. I loved the aspect of girls who aren't perfect - 'wild' or 'out of the ordinary' - as demon possessed as a view on society for women. Unfortunately, I couldn't fully get myself into it. I felt like I needed a bit more character depth overall since the structure of the characters were quite lovely.

ellie_gonzalez's review

dark emotional slow-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

beastreader's review

If I had been wearing socks while reading this book, they would have been blown away. In fact, I am still absorbing what I read. I loved this book so much. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book by this author.

Everything about this book was awesome from Milla, the lead character to the whole storyline. There was just something about this book that had an ease about it. It was kind of like a fable tale. Milla is like the hero you never knew you needed. She was great. Her companions Sverd and Selv were more than just snakes. They were a part of Milla as her protectors. Author, Peternelle van Arsdale will sweep you away within the pages of The Cold is in her Bones!

sleepysamreads's review

You can find this review and others on my blog SleepySamReads!

Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

NetGalley described this as a 'dark and mesmerizing story of love, revenge, and redemption inspired by the myth of Medusa.' I requested as soon as I saw that it was inspired by Medusa and man am I glad I did.
At first I was kind of thrown off by the slow-ish writing, but the more I read, the more I enjoyed the slow flow of it.

I loved Milla. She has a quiet kind of strength that I admire more than the loud badass kind. Her strength isn't something that's immediately noticeable, but you learn that it is there.

One thing I really really really loved about this novel is that there is no romance in it. Like at all. There is familial love between Milla and Iris and Milla and Niklas, but that is it. It was WONDERFUL. I'm so tired of stories that have to rely on some lukewarm romance to be interesting.

The Cold Is in Her Bones feels like a fairy tale. Not the kind about beautiful princesses and their animal side kicks singing, but the kind where the evil stepsisters cut off their toes and the mermaid becomes sea foam to save her prince. The kind that the Grimm brothers would be proud of. The sad, torturous kind.

I really can't put into words how beautiful I found this story, so I hope you can just trust me and pick this up. If you like the darker type of fairy tales, then you'll love this.

josparxx98's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad fast-paced

reenelim's review

the ending was a little predictable, and milla is a little bland, and i can’t seem to understand how she is so close to her brother... but it was pretty atmospheric for me, but maybe that’s because i cant usually read dark stories. for that i give it 3.5 stars.

cosmicjess's review