We Ate the Dark by Mallory Pearson

photogenicegg's review

A lot of super long descriptive flowery language but where did we really get in the 50% that I read. The POV was sorta one person each chapter but that was confusing because it seemed to switch. And the flashbacks were odd. They would pop up randomly and I wouldn't realize until halfway through that it was meant to be a flashback.

jellievayas's review against another edition

I really wanted to like this book, and the story and world building is right up my alley but like many other reviews here...the lyrical prose got in the way of the story and it felt like it was dragging on in a way that makes it feel like another story arc starting in the very end of it without any time to fully flesh out these new pieces being brought in. I also was confused about a few big story plot points but overall I'm glad I read it, I want to check out this author's future works now after delving into this folk horror book!

wellreadintrovert's review

We Ate the Dark is the perfect example of less is more.

The story itself is there, however the overly long sentences are just not necessary. It often felt like it was meant to be deep and mysterious wordsmithing, but just turned into what felt like a two page essay being turned into a ten page through a generator. It turns out that this style of writing is probably not for me and I feel that the plot itself was taking a backseat to the lyrical prose.

I was left with the feeling of hoping the read was almost complete but not having a lot of story and found myself only 25% through. I knew at that point that this would be a slog. I have finished and I don't know who I would even recommend this to.

Thank you to NetGalley, 47North & Mallory Pearson for an advanced copy for review. With how long it took me to get this one finished, it is now available.

booksinthesky's review

adventurous dark emotional informative mysterious tense medium-paced

danyellle's review

challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

fearavatar's review

dark reflective tense slow-paced

_bookswithrobs's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

ascott_reads's review

dark emotional slow-paced

This was hard to get through. There were times when it caught my attention but for the most part everything was overly descriptive and hard to follow.

_zara's review

The start of this novel is * chefs kiss*. I read it out loud to my boyfriend just savor the writing.

Unfortunately, this author would benefit from an editor who helps her tone down the lyricism and similes, and bring forward more plot. This is highly reminiscent of how flowery classic literature. I think for what I expected going in, I wanted a faster pace to help move the plot along. I was unfortunately confused with what was happening and who we are talking to.

caitsidhe's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad slow-paced

I liked this but wanted to like it more. It was a little overwritten, even for my tastes, and somewhat overlong. Still, it goes some interesting, strange places that are uncommon to see in horror, and is imaginative.