Reviews tagging Torture

The Winter of the Witch, by Katherine Arden

larhod's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

mscalls's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional sad tense fast-paced

niaksw's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

The Winter of the Witch was a stunning conclusion to the Winternight Trilogy. The stakes have only gotten higher, and you could see how much Vasya had grown up from the first book just by the decisions she had to and chose to make. The beginning was absolutely heartbreaking and essentially stripped Vasya of all that she was, but to watch Vasya claw her way back and come into her own was breathtaking. She truly earned all that she gained. I loved how the relationship between Vasya and Morozko evolved; they did love each other as they could and they had their differences, but those differences were not insurmountable. The struggles and journeys all of these characters have endured made the ending that much more satisfying.

Overall I loved how these clashing worlds of religion, politics, and magic all blended together to create what I would consider the darkest book and most fantastic finale in an already utterly dark and wondrous series.

katiburd's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional medium-paced

I feel lots of love for this book! I really enjoyed this final book in the Winternight Trilogy! I feel like Arden wrapped up everything in the best and the most bittersweet way - I loved that. I'm going to miss this trilogy and these characters!