The Cruel Prince, by Holly Black

amandaventure's review against another edition

Holy potatoes this was a doozy of a book! There were so many twists and turns I was just in a continual state of “shookness” the entire time. Basically this was me every few pages:

Jude is such a badass heroine. She’s a human living in the world of Fairie and was brought there by the man who murdered her parents in front of her. It’s safe to say her life is basically never ending fear. What’s special about Jude is that she uses that fear to fuel her. The fear gives her strength, cunning, and ambition. Also she can plan a heist caper like nobody’s business. She’s a heroine that I’m so fascinated with that I can’t wait to read about what she’s going to do next.

Shock of all shocks, I liked that Jude wasn’t defined by romance. Is there still kissing in The Cruel Prince? Obviously! It’s YA after all! There are two suitors for Jude and it’s actually not a love triangle. From the start of Jude’s relationship with Locke I thought he was just too silver tongued to be real.

The whole courtship I was just going “Jude, girl! You are in the trap! Get out!” Cardan is a complete asshole but on the other hand I think Jude has a lot of the same tendencies. It’s odd but they are actually kind of amazing together. I’m so intrigued to see how their relationship plays out. I’m super surprised to be shipping them considering he spent almost the whole book being the biggest asshole to her. I think it’s because both of them are assholes so maybe they’re perfect for each other?

THAT ENDING!

I was freaking out at all the twists! It got so juicy! I’m soooo pumped for The Wicked King. The only problem is that I have to wait about 9 months to get it! It’s going to be a loooong wait!

sarahmae25's review against another edition

The characters voices in the audiobook seemed very immature at first but after a while I got used to it and it suited them. Good book.

brentay08's review against another edition

I really loved this book! I couldn’t put it down. I enjoyed that there’s a good bit of world building.

barbarbinks's review

adventurous tense medium-paced

emilyreads15's review against another edition

So good! One of my favorites now!!

aishkuzhiyil's review against another edition

adventurous tense fast-paced

terra_t's review against another edition

Promising.

13kiely13's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

owlegory's review against another edition

Love the plot, although the writing style is a little off for me at times. It makes sense given the perspective it's written from (age included for the first few chapters), but there are some moments of hinting at something and then directly saying it aloud that makes it feel as though the author doesn't trust the reader to make the connection. Again, this is done consistently, so it may just be the way the particular character thinks. It's not inherently wrong, but it can be annoying.

amoonchildsmind's review against another edition

*3.75 stars

Changed to 3 Stars after trying to read The Wicked King and remembering how fucking much I hate Jude. SO MUCH