The House of Always, by Jenn Lyons

sergejglockner's review against another edition

3.5 (rounded up). I love the characters but the story feels very disjointed and like a big set up for the next book. Excited to see where everyone ends up and I enjoyed the new characters/retcons.

c_cosio's review against another edition

adventurous challenging medium-paced

tebi's review against another edition

Part 4: the feels continue
I have to admit there were some characters I was decidedly less interested in than others this time around but somehow it didn't affect my enjoyment of this book all that much. It's so good!! (I might also have some new favs ahhhh). And apparently I really love starting out extremely confused and then having everything fall into place. I was put off by only one thing which thankfully plays only a minor part in this book (although I'm a bit apprehensive about the next book) but that's a very personal squick of mine so what can you do. I wish all epic fantasy was like this ;; I have so many feels, and there are so many good characters. I might have finished over half of this book in one sitting oops

declaired's review against another edition

I just!! like these books so much!!

The House of Always is the "your friends are your power" scene in any anime or videogame to buoy up the protagonist in his seemingly-impossible fight against the end of the world, done long-form. It's also a haunted house story. It's also a story about how a kraken can love a dragon very very much. It's incredible. Jenn Lyons throws all the story tropes I love and many that feel like excerpts from my teenaged dreams (why shouldn't there be a race of horse-people and people-horses and also like some soul-bonding between them? Why shouldn't you turn your characters into mermaids?) into a big blender of emotions.

As always I recommend the audiobooks because the cast of characters is huge and the narrators do a fantastic job of using different (but CONSISTENT) voices across all the novels for all the characters; just an extra level of context when someone you haven't seen for a minute comes riding back on screen, or if you're likely to confuse your Thurvishar with your Terindel or your Teraeth.

morj's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful medium-paced

dinapetko's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

inkandplasma's review against another edition

Full review live on my blog June 3rd: https://inkandplasma.com/2021/06/03/the-house-of-always/

Thanks to Tor UK for sending me a finished copy of this book. It has not affected my honest review.

Content Warnings: misogyny, murder, mentions of slavery, gore, cannibalism, violence, mentions of sexual assault.

With every new book in this series, I wonder how the format can be sustained throughout the developing story, and they keep getting more creative every time. I loved the way this book was set up, with our characters caught in close confinement and magic causing them to delve into their memories. I really liked the way the memories worked. It made sense within the narrative itself, allowed the characters and the readers to dive into embarrassing secrets that the characters would be unlikely to share, and I loved getting to see the characters react to each other's memories. The close quarters also let us explore more than just the usual main three characters. I loved seeing Senera have more page time, espeeeecially getting to see her stuck up close and personal with Thurvishar. The footnotes are one of my favourite parts of this entire series, and they're still incredible. I absolutely love them. This series it was Senera writing the footnotes, and I kind of hope that THE DISCORD OF GODS has both of them.

One of my notes for this review was just 'TERAETH, JANEL AND KIHRINNNNN', and I totally stand by that. I love the three of them, and their burgeoning polyamorous relationship from The Memory of Souls got explored in more depth in this series entry. I loved it. I love them. Their interactions are perfect in every way, and I am going to be absolutely devastated when I reach the end of this series and I don't have anymore content from my favourite throuple. Speaking of the next book.... Tor please give me THE DISCORD OF GODS immediately. I am absolutely terrified by that title and I literally cannot wait a second longer for the last part of this series. I couldn't have predicted anything that happened in this book. It was a spectacular build on the rest of the over-arching story, and the ending as solid as all of the rest of the books. Jenn Lyons has made explosive endings into an art form and THE HOUSE OF ALWAYS is no exception. When it's all over, I think I'll still keep up my yearly reread of the whole series because I simply refuse to be without my fantastical disaster queers.

mediocre_writing's review against another edition

Review to come

ofbooksandbone's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional medium-paced

malusetdenarii's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

I did not expect a blessed thing that I got from this plot but that is nit a complaint holy shit