chantaal's review

My intense dislike for the Joker brought this down.

sarahmcsarah's review

Read this in under an hour. Holy cow.

anthroxagorus's review

At this point, I'm going to have to talk with the spoilers on. If you're this far in, and you can see my 5 stars, then you can see that this series is still body-slamming amazing.

I heard a lot about Death of the Family. Seeing it happen, good god, it was INCREDIBLE. It was a perfect use of some literacy device I don't know the name of. Surprise? The unveiling of Batman at the table. That was perfect. So few comics got me asking "Batman, how the hell are you going to get out of this?" but he did. Good lord, he did.

And can we talk about her roommate, Alysia? That secret that she had been meaning to say, because I am SO EXCITED FOR SOME GODDAMN REPRESENTATION. As to how it came about was a little weird. Was Alysia saying "I'll be okay, because I'm trans* and not a weak little girl" (And they said transgender, but I think they meant transsexual or something else.) I want to say, ugh who cares, there's finally SOME representation.

Now the whole thing with Danny/her brother has been one of my favorite things about this series. I don't know if that's been a thing before but holy cow is it interesting and dark and awesome. It's like everything I wanted out of the Dexter show to have happened. (Well, idk, did it? I only got to season five).

I'll cut this babble short here to turn to the next volume. *deep breaths*

hesperus's review

I really hate James Gordon.

sailor_rain's review

adventurous dark emotional funny inspiring fast-paced

doctorwoofwoof's review

Man, I have no idea WTF happened here, but I am the minority, as I just wasn't feeling it here!

Gail Simone is a favorite writer of mine, as well as a sizable number of comic readers. I don't pick up everything she writes, i.e. Dynamite's RED SONJA series, but I do try to keep a lookout when a new series, or new writing assignment from her, is out. And, generally, she is all aces, except here!

This was a re-read for me, as I was reading BATMAN: DEATH OF THE FAMILY (which was AWESOME, btw!), and I wanted to get the whole story. I don't know what happened, but it just started to get on m nerves! I really, truly wanted to enjoy the second time, but just felt like bland potato salad!

Daniel Sampere's art, on the other hand, was flawless. All the characters, as well as the backgrounds, looked hella tight! I found myself more into the art that the actual story!

I am not 100% sure why I didn't like it. Mostly, I felt some of the characterizations were off, leaving to not give a fart about any of them! That right there is what makes a book, regardless of whether a comic or an actual prose work, the characters have to stand out and make you actually interested in them! Without factor, you have a book that will fail to attract attention, and ultimately, will fail, falling quite flat!

Ok, this is my closing part. This is where I give my final grade, as well as recommending, or trashing, the book being reviewed. Not gonna do it this time round! I want to say that you, yourself, should read this trade, seeing if you like it as much as the others seemed to, k'?

quinnster's review

I read this along with the rest of the non-Batman issues. My review for this arc can be found on my blog:

nancyotoole's review

Volume three of Batgirl ties into the Death of a Family crossover event, which focuses on the return of the Joker, and how it impacts the Batman universe at large. This volume also contains a one shot involving Catwoman, and ties up the James Jr. storyline. The results are pretty entertaining. Personally, I found the Death of a Family crossover to be very strong, probably the best of Simone's run so far. Batgirl must face the man responsible for putting her in a wheel chair, an event that puts her in family in danger and brings Babs to a very dark place. The collection then transitions over to the final issue in the Death of a Family event, which is a little confusing as it's actually a Batman issue, but it's completely worth reading it to see how the story ends.

Personally, I found the James Jr storyline to be a little weak. It was worth my time to see Babs face off against her sociopath younger brother, but, given how many issues are dedicated to the joker, the two issues that really focus on James Jr make the story feel a little rushed. Also, there I found the use of voice over in one of the issues to be a little annoying. There's an issue that seems to be told from James's perspective, yet there are times when the narration feels more like third person, which is really weird. Still, this storyline is worth reading, especially given where it leaves Barbara by it's end.

If you've enjoyed Gail Simone's run on Batgirl so far, then I would recommend picking up volume three, Death of the Family.

nikki_in_niagara's review

Absolutely freaking awesome!!! I got a tiny glimpse of Batgirl in Night of the Owls and I was interested, but after this book, I want more and have placed an order to read this series!! Wow! What an excellent, exciting, very creepy story. This story has the dark, eerie atmosphere that I love from the serial killer mysteries I love to read. Batgirl is awesome! The book starts off with Batgirl investigating some arsons being committed by homeless people but that is cut off and left hanging when she finds out from a source that the Court of Owls are still active. Then Catwoman and Batgirl team up together against the Owls to save a halfway decent female Talon. As I've said before I'm not into Catwoman, but I actually enjoyed this team-up with Batgirl. This was an action-packed thrilling story, very intense, and I loved knowing the Owls are still out there working behind the scenes. Then comes the best part of the whole book as both Barbara Gordon and her Batgirl persona deal with The Joker, Barbara's psychopath brother and the kidnapping of their mother. This was freaking creepy to the extreme. Heart-pounding reading and intense to the max. Very, very disturbing storyline. I never liked the old Joker, but this new one is a deranged psycho and demented beyond belief. He gives me the shivers. We also get a lot of backstory on Barbara's shooting that paralyzed her and her recovery throughout the book. Then comes a story which I believe must be a cross-over from Batman where the Joker has all the family kidnapped and tortures them. Again Intense. Finally, the ending is emotional. the death in the family secret is revealed and closure comes to part of the storyarc but it leaves us and Batgirl drained feeling that the next volume will possibly take a new direction for her family. The art throughout is gruesomely creepy. I'm majorly impressed with this book. Just loved the intensity of it and the outstanding quality of the story.