Reviews tagging Emotional abuse

Detransition, Baby, by Torrey Peters

forcesensitives's review

emotional reflective tense slow-paced

bookswithleesh's review

challenging emotional funny informative inspiring medium-paced

cbrooks288's review

challenging dark emotional tense medium-paced

bootsmom3's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny informative reflective slow-paced

dramaqueentears's review

adventurous emotional funny reflective medium-paced

Okay, this is probably the best book I’ve read so far this year. It is slower paced but I was hooked from page 1.

Reese and Amy, two trans women, dated for five years. Their relationship fell apart when Amy detransitioned to being Ames. Three years later, Ames unexpectedly impregnates his new girlfriend and boss, Katrina. Katrina is ambivalent about having the baby so Ames suggests raising it with Reese.

The three main characters are interesting. Reese desperately wants to be a mom and finds herself in toxic relationships with cis men. Ames is ambivalent to fatherhood and still examines how he really feels about having detransitioned. Katrina is a yuppie that has no problem weaponizing her identity to evade accountability. Together, their relationship is wild. Just when you think you understand the dynamic and sequence of events, the author reveals something that makes you question that thought.

Some reviewers said they didn’t like the extra fluff that went around the plot but I really did. This book was also really funny at times! The car chase in the Uber seriously had me rolling last night. I can’t recommend this book enough.

booksandbodylib's review

emotional funny informative lighthearted sad medium-paced

Very good. I learned a ton about trans identities. We love an unlikable female character. Lots of sex terms I didn't know the meaning of and had to Google. I can't write book reviews when I'm depressed. 😂

heretheygo's review

reflective tense medium-paced

megplant's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

lilgayturtle's review

challenging funny reflective sad medium-paced

Detransition Baby is a novel that equally feels made for me and not for me. It's a fantastic one, if you have any interest in exploration of gender or more specifically of femininity/womanhood; read it! It deserves to be thought about.

Please do not read the spoiler section until you have come to an understanding of what the book was talking about. In specific how it ended. This is not a "spoiler" of its content, its a mindset that could change how you experience the novel.
Spoiler
It was an enlightening journey that died for me with its concept. I was expecting the book to be more than it set out for, to go beyond what it was in text, however for me it was made impossible by its ending. Its not a "bad" ending, its just direct in telling you what it was about. That might work for you. For me it stopped my process of exploration of what it means to me. Because finding what I identified with was made so much harder by its purpous. I dont like when stories are literal. There is a genuine debate to be had of metaphorical effectiveness towards most people, but like I said before not for me. Maybe it is necessary and my experience is too novel.

This book is perfect. I truly mean that. It's pacing is great so are its characters, dialogue, jokes, ideas, prose. I loved every page. Torrey Peters wrote one of the most compelling debut novels I have ever had the priviledge to read. (I also highly reccomend her novellas)

katiemack's review

challenging emotional reflective slow-paced

Despite the writing being too tangential/self-indulgent at times, this is a beautiful book with a lot of depth. I appreciated the discourse Peters writes about detransitioning (which I've never read about before, to my chagrin) and the many layers of queerness in general; it's a unique narrative, and the plot did not proceed as I expected. I think this will be a polarizing read for many folks, but it's definitely worth a try.