Reviews tagging Hate crime

Detransition, Baby, by Torrey Peters

avadore's review

emotional funny reflective tense fast-paced

A queer romp with plenty of big questions and no interest in giving us answers.

stormforest's review

emotional funny reflective sad tense medium-paced

a real gritty funny insight into queer lives and motherhood and the conflicts surrounding that

vanadiumbean's review

emotional funny reflective sad tense medium-paced

alinarburwitz's review

dark emotional funny hopeful reflective medium-paced

balfies's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

I devoured this in a day. It's not just as good as you've heard, it's better.

Brilliant, sensitive, funny, full of character, and able to divine the complex relationships between sex, sexuality, womanhood, trans identity, parenthood, and change.

spacecowpal's review

emotional funny sad

shelby1994's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark informative tense medium-paced

""Reese spent a lifetime observing cis women confirm their genders through male violence. Watch any movie on the Lifetime Channel. Go to any schoolyard. Or just watch your local heterosexual drinking in a bar. Hear women define themselves through pain, or rage against the assumption that they do, which still places pain front and center. Hear the strange sense of satisfaction when they talk about the men who have hurt them - the unspoken subtext of it being "because I am a woman"".

This book swung for the fences in every way, and I loved it. .  At it's heart, this book is about what it takes to build a family; a family is made of parts joining together and bringing all of their faults and messiness to the table.  Family can never be a zero-sum game, and neither can gender, and the sooner people come to terms with that, the more we will be able to connect with one another and build new ways and communities that reflect how we actually want to live out our lives.
 I would be selective in who I recommended this to though.  Everybody should be diversifying their reading, and one of the most important ways to do that is reading a VARIETY of trans-stories, written by trans men and women themselves.  However, just like in every other genre, people are going to have their preferences in style, narrative voice, plot, trigger warnings, and the amount of violence or sex they can handle.  I have a very high threshold for all of those things, so those elements served to accentuate the emotional arc of the story instead of distract from it.
I would recommend to anyone who likes unvarnished protagonists who yearn for things out of their reach, and also anyone who really enjoyed "Luster".

defarge's review against another edition

emotional funny informative reflective medium-paced

sebby's review

challenging emotional tense slow-paced

Some parts of this book i loved, others i just wanted through. I didn't really start enjoying it until almost halfway through.

Its well writen but can be long winded at times and the dialogue is sometimes indistinguishable from the rest of the text.

The characters - main and minor - are interesting and complex and the plot is interesting though not the main focus.

Most of what i didn't particularly enjoy happened in the flashback plotline. It came together neatly and heartbreakingly towards the end, but while i was reading it i didn't really care about it.

Also, it is quite graphic at times about things that definitely would have put me off reading if i had known about them before hand.

This could be called a good book, but i personally wouldnt describe it that way. It did pull me in, but it was a hard read that i didn't enjoy. I would only recommend it to someone who i was certain would enjoy it

fronkiekong's review against another edition

challenging funny reflective tense slow-paced