Reviews tagging Infidelity

Detransition, Baby, by Torrey Peters

spookieboogie's review

challenging emotional reflective slow-paced

beaubaggins's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative reflective slow-paced

I didn’t expect to connect with this story as much as I did. The topic of detransitioning is one I have always strayed away from, just based on the assumptions and judgements I’ve experienced since beginning my transition. I didn’t expect to understand and relate to the story of someone who has detransitioned so much, but in fact my heart ached while reading every chapter because the words resonated so well with my own feelings, experiences, and insecurities as a trans person. I would recommend this book to anyone curious about understanding the decision to detransition and what it is like to be a trans person in the world navigating relationships, love, and family.

susiehheller's review

dark emotional funny hopeful informative fast-paced

courtniep's review

challenging dark emotional funny informative inspiring reflective sad tense slow-paced

defarge's review against another edition

emotional funny informative reflective medium-paced

leahlovesloslibros's review

There wasn't anything specifically wrong with this book. It was more literary than what I was looking for at this time. I would consider trying to read it at another time.

sebby's review

challenging emotional tense slow-paced

Some parts of this book i loved, others i just wanted through. I didn't really start enjoying it until almost halfway through.

Its well writen but can be long winded at times and the dialogue is sometimes indistinguishable from the rest of the text.

The characters - main and minor - are interesting and complex and the plot is interesting though not the main focus.

Most of what i didn't particularly enjoy happened in the flashback plotline. It came together neatly and heartbreakingly towards the end, but while i was reading it i didn't really care about it.

Also, it is quite graphic at times about things that definitely would have put me off reading if i had known about them before hand.

This could be called a good book, but i personally wouldnt describe it that way. It did pull me in, but it was a hard read that i didn't enjoy. I would only recommend it to someone who i was certain would enjoy it

fronkiekong's review against another edition

challenging funny reflective tense slow-paced

dramaqueentears's review

adventurous emotional funny reflective medium-paced

Okay, this is probably the best book I’ve read so far this year. It is slower paced but I was hooked from page 1.

Reese and Amy, two trans women, dated for five years. Their relationship fell apart when Amy detransitioned to being Ames. Three years later, Ames unexpectedly impregnates his new girlfriend and boss, Katrina. Katrina is ambivalent about having the baby so Ames suggests raising it with Reese.

The three main characters are interesting. Reese desperately wants to be a mom and finds herself in toxic relationships with cis men. Ames is ambivalent to fatherhood and still examines how he really feels about having detransitioned. Katrina is a yuppie that has no problem weaponizing her identity to evade accountability. Together, their relationship is wild. Just when you think you understand the dynamic and sequence of events, the author reveals something that makes you question that thought.

Some reviewers said they didn’t like the extra fluff that went around the plot but I really did. This book was also really funny at times! The car chase in the Uber seriously had me rolling last night. I can’t recommend this book enough.

booksandbodylib's review

emotional funny informative lighthearted sad medium-paced

Very good. I learned a ton about trans identities. We love an unlikable female character. Lots of sex terms I didn't know the meaning of and had to Google. I can't write book reviews when I'm depressed. 😂