Reviews tagging Racism

forcesensitives's review

emotional reflective tense slow-paced

lizzie_r's review

challenging funny reflective medium-paced

Let us hope Detransition, Baby is remembered as more than the first novel by a trans woman to be nominated for the formerly-titled Women Prize for Fiction.
Peters wields language, experience & fiction to a point that undoubtedly reminded me of the power of literature: seeing others more fully than one could in their own perspective.

emmah_reads's review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

This book is primarily an exploration of gender, identity, and motherhood from the perspectives of three women with different lived experiences. The plot is secondary to that (which I prefer, but explains why some people didn’t engage with the book).

Some weird comparisons between racism and transphobia which felt uncomfortable coming from a white author.

beaubaggins's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative reflective slow-paced

I didn’t expect to connect with this story as much as I did. The topic of detransitioning is one I have always strayed away from, just based on the assumptions and judgements I’ve experienced since beginning my transition. I didn’t expect to understand and relate to the story of someone who has detransitioned so much, but in fact my heart ached while reading every chapter because the words resonated so well with my own feelings, experiences, and insecurities as a trans person. I would recommend this book to anyone curious about understanding the decision to detransition and what it is like to be a trans person in the world navigating relationships, love, and family.

beades93's review

dark emotional reflective medium-paced

taleofabibliophile's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

glitter's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective medium-paced

Peters's style is honest, funny, touching without being sentimental, and at times quite cynical. Still, she describes her characters, even at their worse, with certain compassion.

This is a very character-driven book, which I'm usually not a big fan of, but I could barely put it down most of the time. To me, Detransition, Baby is a study in creating convincing characters and character dynamics that feel real and compelling to the reader. It was also great to see transgender women portrayed with depth, neither dehumanised by idealisation or demonisation.

As for the plot, the novel is a sort of meditation on motherhood, womanhood, and family. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I think it can inspire a lot of interesting questions and discussions, even just for the person reading it alone. I definitely needed time to process it on my own and it prompted me to think (even) more about my own attitudes and approaches not just to motherhood, but also gender.

In short: I'm so glad I saw everyone talk about this book on Twitter and decided to buy it.

libbyhb's review

emotional funny reflective medium-paced

This book was so refreshing and engaging! A really impressive debut novel from Torrey Peters. It took me a little bit to feel connected to Reese and Ames, but then I was IN IT. They are both such beautifully constructed characters, and you could tell that they were fully grounded in reality even when they did and said things that felt over-the-top. Katrina, while clearly not being the Main Character, also felt so real and relatable. I loved following their struggle to make a family together, and the ways they were at once fully vulnerable and open with one another and holding back crucial feelings and information. And in the end,
SpoilerI appreciated the way it was left uncertain, with some hope that they'll figure it out.

val_so_'s review

challenging emotional funny medium-paced

whatjaimereads's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective slow-paced

Detransition, Baby follows the story of two and a half women, their joint foray into the world of queer parenting, and what it means to be yourself when that self is an interloper to society.
The discussions within this book around gender, fetishisation, and parenthood are handled fluidly, and sensitively, and are unique to any other queer fiction that I’ve read. Peters has written deeply realistic, multi-faceted characters that each offer their own insight into the struggles faced by marginalised communities. This novel is driven by its characters and discussions of their flaws, and it visibly benefits from the author’s Own Voice perspective as a queer woman.
However, this insight comes with the weight of knowledge that the reflections in Detransition, Baby are true-to-life. There is a huge amount of graphic, sensitive content, and some of the storytelling can become over-indulgent within these areas. Our cast of characters are all suffering from deep trauma in their past/present, which makes for some really heavy reading. By about chapter 9 I was completely emotionally exhausted, so I urge you to proceed with caution.
This is not the book that I was expecting from its synopsis, but it probes some really important topics, and for that reason it is undeniably an important read.
*ARC gifted by Serpents Tail in exchange for an honest review*