Reviews tagging Sexual content

Detransition, Baby, by Torrey Peters

smallredboy's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective slow-paced

This book was... kind of a lot. I loved just how unrepentant it was about what it was, how much it didn't try to be palatable or to be "good rep". In fact, I love just how "bad rep" Reese is. All the characters felt very real, as much as sometimes I thought their choices weren't realistic. But everything came together in the last chapter. I also really liked the flashbacks to Amy and Reese's relationship, and the frank discussion of detransitioning and how it can happen for various reasons. How frank the book was spoke to me too; the unhealthy views of womanhood many women (cis and trans alike) have, dissociation during sex, et al.

charlottesomewhere's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful
This book is absolutely worth the hype. A very cleverly written, thought-provoking exploration of womanhood, parenthood and queerness. I loved Reese's voice and her relationship with Ames and Katrina.

forcesensitives's review

emotional reflective tense slow-paced

vanadiumbean's review

emotional funny reflective sad tense medium-paced

wholesomeandqueer's review

challenging dark sad fast-paced

balfies's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

I devoured this in a day. It's not just as good as you've heard, it's better.

Brilliant, sensitive, funny, full of character, and able to divine the complex relationships between sex, sexuality, womanhood, trans identity, parenthood, and change.

sunny_'s review

challenging dark emotional funny informative reflective sad tense medium-paced

this was . SUCH a fascinating read omg . i rly appreciate how complex it was and how real and complicated the characters felt. it was my first adult fiction book so definitely a new experience and i’m rly glad i started w this one!

i think the exploration of being trans specifically a trans woman was given so much range and depth and i rly appreciate the aspects of the trans experience that were described. this was honestly pretty i informative and i thought having all three characters’ povs was super cool and done very well.

i’m not sure how i feel ab the ending but i think it makes sense and i’m definitely satisfied w this book solely bc the story had so many layer and parts to it, all of which were given enough attention that i felt complete/had closure w them. overall i’d def recommend!

jonahreimann's review

dark emotional funny reflective medium-paced

Peters expertly captures what it means to be a modern trans adult, the multitudes of femininity, and how pregnancies and queer family fit together and also challenge eachother.

You can feel that the characters are built with knowledge and empathy to their flaws and worries. You will go from hating the  three main characters in one second, to deeply loving them the next, as you are being dragged along through their lives as women and trans people. Ultimately, I developed a real fondness and empathy for all of them.

It is so refreshing to see trans people creating the modern image of what it means to be transgender and bringing out own narratives into popular media.

Trans excellence!

beaubaggins's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative reflective slow-paced

shelby1994's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark informative tense medium-paced

""Reese spent a lifetime observing cis women confirm their genders through male violence. Watch any movie on the Lifetime Channel. Go to any schoolyard. Or just watch your local heterosexual drinking in a bar. Hear women define themselves through pain, or rage against the assumption that they do, which still places pain front and center. Hear the strange sense of satisfaction when they talk about the men who have hurt them - the unspoken subtext of it being "because I am a woman"".

This book swung for the fences in every way, and I loved it. .  At it's heart, this book is about what it takes to build a family; a family is made of parts joining together and bringing all of their faults and messiness to the table.  Family can never be a zero-sum game, and neither can gender, and the sooner people come to terms with that, the more we will be able to connect with one another and build new ways and communities that reflect how we actually want to live out our lives.
 I would be selective in who I recommended this to though.  Everybody should be diversifying their reading, and one of the most important ways to do that is reading a VARIETY of trans-stories, written by trans men and women themselves.  However, just like in every other genre, people are going to have their preferences in style, narrative voice, plot, trigger warnings, and the amount of violence or sex they can handle.  I have a very high threshold for all of those things, so those elements served to accentuate the emotional arc of the story instead of distract from it.
I would recommend to anyone who likes unvarnished protagonists who yearn for things out of their reach, and also anyone who really enjoyed "Luster".