Reviews tagging Sexual violence

Detransition, Baby, by Torrey Peters

sebby's review

challenging emotional tense slow-paced

Some parts of this book i loved, others i just wanted through. I didn't really start enjoying it until almost halfway through.

Its well writen but can be long winded at times and the dialogue is sometimes indistinguishable from the rest of the text.

The characters - main and minor - are interesting and complex and the plot is interesting though not the main focus.

Most of what i didn't particularly enjoy happened in the flashback plotline. It came together neatly and heartbreakingly towards the end, but while i was reading it i didn't really care about it.

Also, it is quite graphic at times about things that definitely would have put me off reading if i had known about them before hand.

This could be called a good book, but i personally wouldnt describe it that way. It did pull me in, but it was a hard read that i didn't enjoy. I would only recommend it to someone who i was certain would enjoy it

beanjoles's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny sad medium-paced

groovywitch's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

fronkiekong's review against another edition

challenging funny reflective tense slow-paced

booksandbodylib's review

emotional funny informative lighthearted sad medium-paced

Very good. I learned a ton about trans identities. We love an unlikable female character. Lots of sex terms I didn't know the meaning of and had to Google. I can't write book reviews when I'm depressed. 😂

heretheygo's review

reflective tense medium-paced

ashyouwish's review

challenging emotional funny reflective medium-paced

cheesepuppy's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

This book was really good and very thought provoking. I loved how the story went back and forth between past and present while also showing different perspectives. I loved this story

The chapters were long, maybe too long. Had I been reading a print book vs the audiobook, this probably would’ve been hard.

Somewhere, someone mentioned this book had polyamory representation. This is not the case at all.

lilgayturtle's review

challenging funny reflective sad medium-paced

Detransition Baby is a novel that equally feels made for me and not for me. It's a fantastic one, if you have any interest in exploration of gender or more specifically of femininity/womanhood; read it! It deserves to be thought about.

Please do not read the spoiler section until you have come to an understanding of what the book was talking about. In specific how it ended. This is not a "spoiler" of its content, its a mindset that could change how you experience the novel.
Spoiler
It was an enlightening journey that died for me with its concept. I was expecting the book to be more than it set out for, to go beyond what it was in text, however for me it was made impossible by its ending. Its not a "bad" ending, its just direct in telling you what it was about. That might work for you. For me it stopped my process of exploration of what it means to me. Because finding what I identified with was made so much harder by its purpous. I dont like when stories are literal. There is a genuine debate to be had of metaphorical effectiveness towards most people, but like I said before not for me. Maybe it is necessary and my experience is too novel.

This book is perfect. I truly mean that. It's pacing is great so are its characters, dialogue, jokes, ideas, prose. I loved every page. Torrey Peters wrote one of the most compelling debut novels I have ever had the priviledge to read. (I also highly reccomend her novellas)

katiemack's review

challenging emotional reflective slow-paced

Despite the writing being too tangential/self-indulgent at times, this is a beautiful book with a lot of depth. I appreciated the discourse Peters writes about detransitioning (which I've never read about before, to my chagrin) and the many layers of queerness in general; it's a unique narrative, and the plot did not proceed as I expected. I think this will be a polarizing read for many folks, but it's definitely worth a try.