Reviews tagging Suicidal thoughts

Detransition, Baby, by Torrey Peters

alinarburwitz's review

dark emotional funny hopeful reflective medium-paced

balfies's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

I devoured this in a day. It's not just as good as you've heard, it's better.

Brilliant, sensitive, funny, full of character, and able to divine the complex relationships between sex, sexuality, womanhood, trans identity, parenthood, and change.

bookswithleesh's review

challenging emotional funny informative inspiring medium-paced

franceselsie's review against another edition

challenging reflective slow-paced

dorottyagoston's review

emotional medium-paced

booksandbodylib's review

emotional funny informative lighthearted sad medium-paced

Very good. I learned a ton about trans identities. We love an unlikable female character. Lots of sex terms I didn't know the meaning of and had to Google. I can't write book reviews when I'm depressed. 😂

ashyouwish's review

challenging emotional funny reflective medium-paced

helendipietro's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective medium-paced

Detransition, Baby is the smartest novel I have read in a long time; I learnt so much from reading about the different experiences of the three main characters in this story. They are messy and explored deeply which made this book so immersive and vulnerable. Reese, Amy (Ames) and Katrina are brought together by an unexpected situation in which they’ll consider raising a child together – a co-parenting opportunity. It is a complicated look into what it means to be a woman, mother-daughter relationships and being Trans. Torrey Peters manages to be truly cut throat and deep while also conveying emotion, compassion and wit.

Gender dynamics and roles play such a huge part in people’s lives and identities. The description of Ames who used ‘masculinity as a defensive cocoon’ really portrayed how one can mentally switch gender roles making it such a complicated concept. There were many phrases in the book such as ‘longing for cis-passibility’ which opened my eyes to an experience different from my own.

However, there are so many parts in the book that were just so funny, witty and relatable. I have fallen in love with the way that Peters writes.
  • ‘Danny was a good boyfriend to have, when I was younger… like in the same way that a Saint Bernard would be a good dog to have if you were lost in the mountains. A big amiable body that a girl could shelter behind.’
  • ‘My marriage was like a push-up bra: It looked pretty good…but you know it’s all padding and by the end of the day you can’t wait to take the damn thing off.’

I knew early on that this was going to be a strong 5-star read and I’m surprised that it didn’t get shortlisted for the Women’s Prize for Fiction 2021. I will definitely be coming back to read this one again – exceptional!

kleinearmee's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective slow-paced

cheye13's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective medium-paced

This is one of those books that is technically great but didn't hit my buttons. Primarily, it's just so literary. One of those books that reminds you that you're Reading A Book. I appreciate craft, but the vocab, the time jumps, the absurdist metaphors jolt me out of the story. (Another way I explain this phenomenon is "It reads very NYC," which is always the author's intent but never my cup of tea.)

Conceptually, I loved this story. I loved the characters, well-built and multifaceted; human. I loved the plot, meticulous backstory behind every choice. I loved seeing trans women at the center of their own stories. I loved the nuance of motherhood. More than once, overwhelmed, I whispered a weepy "I love women" to myself. This is a beautifully crafted story.

I did feel a little misplaced by the story, as if it weren't meant for me. Which, since I'm cis, makes sense. But in a way it did seem like it was for straight cis women. If the primary intent was for trans women to see themselves in fiction, the secondary intent seemed to be to slap straight women into reconceptualizing gender/womanhood. As a queer cis woman, I sorta felt like a third party watching a volley back and forth.

Starting the story, I expected more exploration of the in-between, the shades of gray. A negotiation of an unconventional family, a blending of queer fantasy and practical reality. From the first page, I knew I was wrong. Being literary, the plot was predictable but in a good way; in this type of book, you read not for the story, but for the emotion the story delivers. This isn't what I expected or exactly what I wanted, but I'm so glad it exists and glad I got the chance to read it. I'd definitely recommend it, but I'd probably pitch it differently than the synopsis does.