Reviews tagging Medical content

Detransition, Baby, by Torrey Peters

avadore's review

emotional funny reflective tense fast-paced

A queer romp with plenty of big questions and no interest in giving us answers.

lizzie_r's review

challenging funny reflective medium-paced

Let us hope Detransition, Baby is remembered as more than the first novel by a trans woman to be nominated for the formerly-titled Women Prize for Fiction.
Peters wields language, experience & fiction to a point that undoubtedly reminded me of the power of literature: seeing others more fully than one could in their own perspective.

fronkiekong's review against another edition

challenging funny reflective tense slow-paced

booksandbodylib's review

emotional funny informative lighthearted sad medium-paced

Very good. I learned a ton about trans identities. We love an unlikable female character. Lots of sex terms I didn't know the meaning of and had to Google. I can't write book reviews when I'm depressed. 😂

lilgayturtle's review

challenging funny reflective sad medium-paced

Detransition Baby is a novel that equally feels made for me and not for me. It's a fantastic one, if you have any interest in exploration of gender or more specifically of femininity/womanhood; read it! It deserves to be thought about.

Please do not read the spoiler section until you have come to an understanding of what the book was talking about. In specific how it ended. This is not a "spoiler" of its content, its a mindset that could change how you experience the novel.
Spoiler
It was an enlightening journey that died for me with its concept. I was expecting the book to be more than it set out for, to go beyond what it was in text, however for me it was made impossible by its ending. Its not a "bad" ending, its just direct in telling you what it was about. That might work for you. For me it stopped my process of exploration of what it means to me. Because finding what I identified with was made so much harder by its purpous. I dont like when stories are literal. There is a genuine debate to be had of metaphorical effectiveness towards most people, but like I said before not for me. Maybe it is necessary and my experience is too novel.

This book is perfect. I truly mean that. It's pacing is great so are its characters, dialogue, jokes, ideas, prose. I loved every page. Torrey Peters wrote one of the most compelling debut novels I have ever had the priviledge to read. (I also highly reccomend her novellas)

leah_alexandra's review

challenging funny reflective fast-paced

This was pretty phenomenal. I thought it was complex and engrossing--a really interesting read. There were a bits that felt just a little clunky: some awkward dialogue, some parts were a little didactic, etc. But I think that all is as expected for a first novel. I look forward to reading more of Peters's work!

taleofabibliophile's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

lenin_lover_69's review

emotional funny reflective medium-paced

I hope this is the future of funny, beautifully written 'chick-lit' - nuanced, complicated characters who aren't stereotypes, who let you down, make you laugh and draw you into their lives. It deserves every accolade that comes its way and it should win the Women's Prize if not just to boil the piss of every TERF in the UK.

bookscoffeetour's review

challenging dark emotional funny informative reflective tense slow-paced

It’s hard to describe my thoughts on Torrey Peters’, Detransition, Baby. I did like this book. I did not like this book as an audiobook. Peters writes a chaotic, messy, heartfelt novel about identity, motherhood, fatherhood, womanhood, and what it means to be a parent. It’s messy, but it’s real. It works.

This is a heavily character-driven book. The flaws, trauma, and personalities of the three main characters, Ames, Reese, and Katrina, are at the forefront of this novel in an unapologetic manner.

The trans representation in this book is realistic. So often in books where there are trans characters, they are represented as ‘Disney-fied’ versions of humans. Reese, specifically, opens a window into the life of a trans woman whose life isn’t always a perfect ending story. Reese is a character whom I was rooting for, getting angry with, sympathizing with, throughout the entire novel. One of my favorite characters I’ve read about this year.

Something that made this audiobook feel clunky to me was the shifting of time periods in the middle of chapters. These chapters are quite long and throughout them, there would be shifts in time periods and shifts of point of view. There were also sections of long tangents that felt to distract from the main message or plot of the chapter. Maybe because I read this book via an audiobook it was often confusing? I think the plot may have been relayed more cohesively with broken-up chapters. I also think a reread of this book in a physical format would help my reading experience a ton!

I definitely recommend reading this book for members of the LGTBQ+ community and allies. It’s unlike any other book I’ve read with queer representation. I’m excited to read more from Torrey Peters in the future!

clem's review

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

There were some technical flaws (mainly in the writing) but this totally absorbed me in a way a book hasn’t in a long time and I feel like I am going to be thinking about these characters for a LONG time.