The Mask of Mirrors by M.A. Carrick

klhinderliter's review against another edition

Could not get into it. Since it is a series i decided to stop trying to force it and waste more time.

lostinabookishworld's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

This was such an interesting book. The overall premise is so intriguing, the history and lore and magic of the world was fascinating, and I loved all our main characters. I felt immediately invested in each characters' story, loved that we got multi-POV, and couldn't wait to figure out all the different mysteries. There were moments that made me gasp out loud, twists that I didn't see coming, and parts that were absolutely heartbreaking.

I will say, this is high fantasy book with extremely intricate world-building and a million characters. I will totally admit to being lost (like, a lot) when it comes to the details of the world and wouldn't always know how each character was connected to another or what they potentially meant to the overall storyline.

All that said, I did enjoy myself while reading. I'm so impressed that the authors were able to come up with this world and make it all make sense (to others, not me - I'm still quite lost but okay with it). I can't wait to read the next book.

klecheve's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

kathleenabby's review against another edition

This book is described as having my least favourite things. Which is masquerade balls, tea parties and fashion. But surprisingly I really loved it.

📚 We follow mainly follow Ren and ex street rat trying to con her way into a noble family to ensure a future for herself and younger sister. But she gets herself involved in more than just a simple con. She is trust into family feuds and political intrigues while trying to avoid being caught and maintain her image.

📖

paula7's review against another edition

mysterious slow-paced

blandtaste's review against another edition

The main thoughts after finishing reading:
1. The book took a bit of a dive in the second half, especially towards the end.
2. Ren's thought process is sometimes painful and is at odds with who she is supposed to be. There are multiple occasions where characters act against their prior characterization just to move the plot along.
3. The "cliffhanger" was not convincing.

I hope the next one is able to balance the plot and characters so that they do not conflict.

roxymaybe's review against another edition

Fuck yeah!!! Rich world, cool language, interesting magic, beautiful fabrics, a long con, layers and layers of secrets! Everybody's bisexual and nothing hurts!!!

pay1510's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

lahren's review against another edition

This was such a fantastic and complex political fantasy. Even though it had what could be considered a slow start, I was immediately hooked and knew this was going to be excellent.

Especially in the early parts of the book, I found myself comparing this a lot to Six of Crows and The Lies of Locke Lamora — two books that it seems are universally loved by everyone else, but that weren't my cup of tea. The thing about this book is that it felt like it fixed a lot of the problems I had with those ones. Rather than be cagey about Ren's origin story, we get to see from the very prologue exactly the of life she and Tess grew up with so that we could immediately be invested in their future. While there were things about the world that we were left in the dark about in the beginning, I didn't feel like my ignorance prevented me from understanding the other machinations that were happening with our characters. Most of all, I loved how incredibly clever Ren was and how masterful she was at social engineering. One of the things that frustrated me about SOC & LOLM was the tendency to have the cleverness happen off-screen with the reader only told about it in retrospect, making it feel like we just had the take the author's word for it that whatever they did was super inspired and the best possible option. However, this book was structured such that we got to be along with Ren and in her head every time she plotted an approach or had to work her way out of a pickle so that we could see for ourselves exactly how resourceful and intentional she was with everything she did.

As much as I appreciate how much complexity went into this book to make it feel fresh and innovative, it did get a bit overwhelming at times with the sheer amount of names and titles to keep track of. I knew this book would require concentration and made sure I was only reading it when I could take my time and give it my undivided attention, but even then there were moments where I couldn't keep track of who someone was or what machination we were attempting to unravel. I may be speaking too soon, having only finished the first book so far, but I feel like this series could probably have been split into four books instead of three so that the things we needed to keep track of at any given point could have been spaced out a bit more.

All the same, I thought this book was excellent, and I am eager to continue the series. I originally planned to circle back to the next book awhile later while I tackled some other things on my TBR, but I think I'm going to have to move book two up my queue — both because I'm impatient to see what happens next, and because I think it will be better to continue while the rules and positions of this world are still fresh in my mind. I've heard a lot of people say that book 2 is the best in the series, so I my expectations for it are incredibly high.

Also I'm going to spend at least a day basking in the satisfaction of correctly guessing who the Rook was from the beginning. :')

voghe's review against another edition

challenging dark hopeful mysterious tense slow-paced