Reviews tagging Police brutality

The Mask of Mirrors, by M.A. Carrick

szuum's review against another edition

adventurous challenging mysterious slow-paced

valpuri's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

astroprojection's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

I liked this a lot. I think the world-building and politicking were pretty interesting and I loved the focus on clothes and fashion, whether it was Tess’s outfits for Ren or Vargo’s peak Slutty Crime Boss Ensembles. I especially loves the magical girl-esque transformation scene at the same end lmao, it was unexpected but stuck to the aesthetic so I dug it. I also like that as a first novel in a series, it had a plot that was developed and resolved so, while we do have some lingering threads, it’s not like we have a whole cliffhanger or anything. I did think the accents were kind of all over the place in the audiobook (not the reader’s fault but more so how haphazardly the settings in the book were mapped to different English accents).

perditorian's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

erin_lovell's review

challenging dark mysterious sad tense slow-paced

literaturesciencealliance's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

Video Review: https://youtu.be/4Vxz6q5gKEU

What a fun fantasy read! I loved the character relationships and how they developed throughout this story. I think even though it is a slow pace at the beginning I didn't mind because all I wanted to do was watch these quiet moments where characters are interacting with each other. Once the pace does pick up then the mystery and tension takes over and I couldn't put it down. My one complain is that the character relationships took more of a back seat than I wanted in the later end of the story when the pace picked up. The magic is also really interesting. I am always a fan of dream magic which plays a large roll in this story. There are lots of things still to learn but for a first book in a series I was really intrigued and happy with where it ended and the answers I did get to all the intriguing questions that this narrative gives you. Recommend this to anyone who likes multiple point of view adventure/political fantasy.