Reviews tagging Murder

The Mask of Mirrors, by M.A. Carrick

valpuri's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

vivaldi's review

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

You know you've found your next fave book when you start to have symptoms of a book hangover as soon as you finished the book. This is precisely what what I've felt with <i>The Mask of Mirrors</i>. With its intricate worldbuilding (aesthetically it reminds me of Venice), political intrigue, and fascinating magic + divinity systems - this book is easily my favourite 2021 release that I've read so far. In addition to the interesting premise, I was also enthralled by the diverse & complex characters. I adored Ren, a clever and morally ambiguous con artist who takes the centre stage in the story. I loved how from Ren's perspective these intricate web of plots + magic entangled with other characters' lives.

I've been reading the book before bedtimes over the past week and cherished every single moment that I had the pages open. While it took me some time to familiarise with the intricacies of the worldbuilding, once I got used to these details I found the book really difficult to put down. Given that this is jointly written by Marie Brennan and Alyc Helms, I applaud their chemistry writing the book. There's a highly cohesive feel in <i>The Mask of Mirrors</i> which is rarely seen in many other collaborations. With the scope of worldbuilding and characters, <i>The Mask of Mirrors</i> is an excellent opening novel of the Rook & Rose series. I'll be eagerly waiting for its sequel coming later this year!!

lindenei's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious slow-paced

the first 40 % are quite slow-paced but the wonderful world and character buidling makes up for it. The last 60 % are just outstanding! Very intriguing magic system, morally grey characters that feel so real and the LGBT presentation was phenomenal! Can't wait for the next book!