Brokeback Mountain, by Annie Proulx

Just right

beccamac's review

dark emotional sad medium-paced

stardustmama's review

As a general rule, the book is always better than the movie. And because Brokeback Mountain was pretty amazing, in my opinion, I expected a lot out of the short story. Unfortunately, most of it read like a very detailed outline, and quite frankly, I think Ledger and Gyllenhaal did a better job of conveying the emotion missing from the narrative. There's a lot of potential here, but honestly, I just think a story like this needs more than 55 pages to be told. Proulx would've done better to expand the story, flesh out the characters more, and really make us feel how Ennis felt over the twenty years he loved Jack.

Still worth a read, if boylove is your thing. If not--and pay attention because I'll probably never say this again in my entire life--skip it and watch the movie instead.

nclcaitlin's review

challenging dark emotional

cilliancork's review

fast-paced

bo_manson's review

In one spring, Ennis and Jack, yet twenty, signed up for a job as a sheep herder. Both of them doesn't sleep in the same tent and this made Jack bitching. Ennis willingly to switch. To pass the time, they shared many stories. One night, the weather is bad and Ennis couldn't go back to the sheep. They have to wait and sleep in the tent together and the here they found their intimate moment. They survived the job through winter. They parted away. Maybe meet again next summer or not. Both of them lead their own life. Years later Ennis received a letter from Jack. They met again and it didn't take long before they found themselves in each other's arms. Jack talked about having their own ranch run by them but Ennis can only be with Jack for a limited time. The relationship continued for years to come. Jack demanded more while Ennis was tied to his family. One day, Ennis received a returned postcard. Jack's gone and now, there's only memory Jack and Brokeback Mountain.

axel_p's review against another edition

emotional sad fast-paced

Deze mannen hadden echt een zielig leven

100reads's review

adventurous emotional reflective sad fast-paced

Would reread. Now off to watch the film by Ang Lee starring Jake Gyllenhall.

raulbime's review

"There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can’t fix it you’ve got to stand it."

Beautiful. From beginning to end. Definitely better than the film (even though I enjoyed the film too).