Entangled, by Melissa Brayden

heatherblakely's review against another edition

Another great Brayden. Romances set in a vineyard/winery/brewery are some of my favorites, and I'm excited that this is going to be a series. I loved the setting, obviously, and the great and not-so-great aspects of living in a small town. Strong characters as usual, great cast of secondary characters, lots of floopy romance feelings. (Very white and cis set of characters, but I'm used to that in Brayden's novels.)

Full warning, this book will make you want wine.

m0thermayi's review against another edition

4 stars | Melissa Brayden did it again! Entangled is a great sapphic romance and the first book in Brayden’s new Tangle Valley series! I have always loved Brayden’s books. They’re sweet, cozy and her characters are always loveable.

When Joey and Becca meet, it’s pretty much love at first sight… But Joey hates the new elite resort they’re building in town and Becca just happens to be the head of said new resort. Afraid, the new hotel will take away the rustic charm of Tangle Valley, Joey refuses to see how beneficial the tourists visiting the new resort could be to her vineyard. Good thing Becca (and her newly adopted pup, Skywalker) doesn’t give up easily on what she wants.

If you’re looking for a heartwarming, small-town romance between two ladies with chemistry, Entangled is for you.

aluhealz's review against another edition

I'm very firmly down the middle of the road with this one. It was good, but there wasn't anything about it that really made it stand out. The characters were likable, both the main and secondary ones. The story had a decent amount of drama as well, but everything felt just a bit too neat. The pacing flowed well, though for me personally everything happened a bit fast between the two main characters. I felt like there were a few moments of temporary drama that could have been built on more. It was overall not bad, just lacked something that could have pushed it over the edge.

cerseiorgana's review against another edition

took too long until the main characters met

macaruchi's review against another edition

Another amazing romance by Melissa Brayden and a great start of a new series! Can't wait to spend more time in this town with these characters in the next book.

natazzz's review against another edition

One of the best and most engaging lesbian romance novels I’ve read this year, and I’ve read a lot of them. It was fun, it was meaningful, I felt it and nothing annoyed me. This book is a great example why I love this genre.

patricia71's review against another edition

I thought this was never going to happen with a Melissa Brayden book, but alas..dnf at 50%. It was boring and the banter between evrybody and their mother was too much!! Evrybody had jokes and one lines. I liked Becca a lot, didn’t feel Joey. Just didn’t feel it and there are to many other books to read. I didn’t rate it but I would give it 2 stars because...I don’t know.

aud1's review against another edition

I don’t think I can finish this book. Two major gripes: first, these adult women are just too over the top twee and precious. They all have the exact same personality. And it gets old.

But here’s the big gripe for me: there’s no way a huge project like that would just pop up unannounced. There would have been town meetings about rezoning for such an anomaly as a large resort. No way was that property already zoned for it. In the real works, THAT is when the townspeople protest and air their grievances. Not when the project, which has to have been in the works for a couple of years, is literally ready to open in a month. I mean, what’s the goal here? Have the resort property abandoned and become an eyesore? Eye roll festivals are built on such.

Honestly, I would have thought an adult living in the real world would know details like that. It’s bugging the crap out of me and I think I have to abandon it.

lydiahope98's review against another edition

lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

sherpawhale's review against another edition

This one really grinded my gears.

There's a saying in fantasy books that I'm going to paraphrase, but about how you have to get the minutiae of say, black smithing right, or readers will never be willing to suspend their disbelief for the magic.

And this small town Entangled takes place in really messed up their blacksmithing.

Seriously, it's like Brayden transplanted a fictional town from the 70s or 80s in the 2020s. And it didn't just make me mildly mad, it made me actually angry.

In my day job, I go out to restaurants, and sometimes I go to the tiny small towns that are dying year after year, their last big heyday taking place before the completion of the Interstate Highway project. These residents would KILL for someone to invest an upscale resort in their town, something that would keep the wolf away from the door.

Real small towns may grouse about "outsiders" ruining the town, but they greedily lap up every single tourist dollar they can get, and for good reason.

So the central conflict between the two protagonists revolving around one being a small town girl grown up to be a winery owner vs. a ritzy resort manager really fell flat for me.

Another thing that fell flat? The twee interactions between the friends who are obviously being set up for continuing novels in this series. "Kill your darlings" should have been employed in force here, particularly with Gabriella, but apparently weren't because... all of the rest of the side characters are so "charming" and "quaint." I seriously felt like I was reading someone's novel from when they were 15 when it came to the cast of townies. Stop being too cute and let your story and romance stand on its own.

Aside from that, the chemistry was very strong between Joey and Becca, but I never really felt the "enemies-to-lovers" vibe I think Brayden was going for, for reasons mentioned above.

All that said, when I like Brayden, I really like her, but I would hesitate before picking up another book in this series if it was about Gabriella.