The Brilliant Death, by Amy Rose Capetta

danielle110's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

ebb_and_flow's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

qwordy's review against another edition

Going into this I didn’t know much and I’m glad I didn’t because it made the world, story, and characters so much more exciting and unpredictable. I love the gender fluid representation that occurs and the relationship that unfolds. This book shook me and made me so invested in the characters. I desperately need the next book. Teo is exactly that strong lead character I’ve needed for a while and Cielo really compliments her. I love the conflict that’s presented in believable and dramatic means. Just a beautiful written fantasy I think should be more popular.

alexa_ayana's review against another edition

" Get a man talking, and he will hand you a weapon. Keep him talking, and he will show you where to point it. "

It is one of that kind book which give you deep unique voices since the first chapter.

laurahintze's review against another edition

The Brilliant Deathin maailma on hyvinkin kekseliäs ja omaperäinen. Siinä seikkaillaan Italian mafiaperheiden tyyppisten valtakahinoiden keskellä, ja lisäksi tarinaan sekoittuu magiamaailma ja sen koukerot. Päähahmo Teo on mielenkiintoinen ja vauhdikas seurattava, jolla on omia maagisia kykyjä. Häntä ryhtyy valmentamaan kykyjensä kanssa Cielo-niminen henkilö, joka ei oikein sukupuolitu kirjassa millään muotoa ja onpa hänkin varsin omaperäinen hahmo.

Lopputulema on ehkä hieman sekava, mutta viihdyttävä. Tässä oli paljon hyvää ja uutta, toisaalta taas myös niitä YA-kliseitäkin.

malin's review

This book is set in a world inspired by 19th century Italy with queer people that say fuck you to the gender binary. The promise sounds amazing, and I should have loved it but I was left with very mixed feelings.

WHAT I LIKED
Gender. Neither the main character Teo nor her genderfluid love interest fit in to the binary view of gender. Teo is allowed to questions her gender identity throughout the book, which I liked. It also had other gender discussions which I enjoyed.

Queer. I’m a simple girl with simple needs, (although it was a bit instant-lovey) I enjoyed it.

Teo. She was a nice protagonist that never annoyed me.

Magic System. The concept of the magic system was interesting
Spoiler, especially with how the magic is passed down through the brilliant death.

WHAT I DIDN’T LIKE
World. I should have liked it in theory but it felt kind of underdeveloped? The Capo and the inspiration setting could have been more fleshed out, and the world generally felt kind of lacklustre.

Magic System. Although I liked the concept of the magic system it was often too vague. There wasn’t really any clear rules or limitations for how the magic was used.

Plot.I couldn’t care less. The plot was rushed but the scenes sometimes dragged.

Side-Characters. So. Many. Characters. With. So. Little. Page. Time.

Writing. Meh. It was telly at times and used my pet peeve of calling someone by a characteristic when you know their name (e.g. Celio is called “The strega” all the fucking time). It’s especially annoying when it’s the love interest and it’s a first person pov.

SUMMARY
I liked everything in theory, but only half of it in practice.

therainbowshelf's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense slow-paced

A fun fantasy read. I don't love political intrigue, it's one of my least favorite features of fantasy books, but this book was still fun even witu the heavy focus on the ruling families drama. Loved having a gender fluid witch protagonist and a protagonist exploring her identity.

gpichard's review against another edition

DNF- no rating. Just couldn't get into caring for the characters.

bookyogi's review against another edition

This book for me originally was a cover buy. I saw it and without knowing anything about it, bought it...and I am so glad I did. The Brilliant Death takes gender fluid to a new level where Teo, a mafia don’s daughter and Cielo are both Strega and able to gender change, actually physically change between male and female, with use of the magic inside of them. This book is imaginative and original, creating new worlds of magic and characters cruel and tender and loving and interesting all in one. She has a big hearted brother Luca whom she wishes to protect from her beyond evil older brother, who tortures his siblings in twisted ways. This book moves in so many interesting directions with clear world building; I will eagerly eat up book two as soon as it is available to me!

aj_f27's review