Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King

trid1977's review against another edition

way too long. To many pointless flashbacks. At some point I just kept thinking get to the Wolves.

I finally forced my way to the end.

Thankee, Sai

tvrandhavane's review against another edition

First, spoiler alert. The review may contain some spoilers for this book.

Now, let's get to the review. I had high hopes for the books at the beginning. I did not like how King dragged the flashback story for most of the Wizard and Glass and I thought since that is over, this book will take us into the present. It was going to be awesome.

I was enjoying the book, waiting for things to happen and then Callahan started telling his story. I was hoping that it wouldn't be as long as Roland's flashback story. I am not really a fan of long flashbacks. Suddenly, Vampires?!? What is happening here! (I have not read Salem's Lot).

Finally, the story got over and thankfully, it wasn't as long the Roland flashback. But then King started talking about coincidences. I get it that there are coincidences in the world now. Nineteen and all. But it got really annoying after a while. How many times are you going to point out that there is a coincidence? I was bored of counting the number of letters in every name and the sum of digits in every number.

After Callahan's story King started another one. Old Jafford started talking about the time they killed a wolf. I think King really likes flashbacks and it is definitely not my cup of tea. The flashbacks are like reading a book where you already know the ending and are just reading it for the details. Many times, King starts telling something and then keeps the most significant details for the end of the book. For example, what they see when they remove the wolf's mask. In my opinion, that is a simply a technique to create suspense that I do not like.

The things I liked about this book, though, is how he sprinkles the references from our world. Harry Potter, Sherlock Holmes, and Star Wars. I am sold! He even references himself. That's so cool.

I also like how he writes the fighting with the wolves. That's really good. Overall, this is a good book. Maybe even a 4 star. But since I expected a lot more and got left with mixed results it gets a 3 star.

mgl_reads's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense

braydeck's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny mysterious sad medium-paced

jurgenappelo's review against another edition

This book is a major disappointment and disaster.

Plot: Basically, nothing happens. People just talk and talk and talk. And the only meaningful action that could be described as "moving the plot forward" is in the last 100 pages of the book. Major chunks of the book (all the vampire-stuff) could easily be deleted without losing anything important or relevant to the plot.

Perspective: The author picked the "God perspective" which means that you can basically know the thoughts of all protagonists. Sadly, he switches perspectives at random moments, which I find jarring and annoying, and it comes across as unprofessional. Fantasy authors such as George R.R. Martin and Steven Erickson do a much better job handling perspectives and perspective-switching in a far more consistent way.

Inconsistency: Even though the reader knows what people are thinking, the only time the reader is intentionally kept in the dark is when the protagonists discuss the identity of the Wolves. Why are we allowed to know every mundane thought _except_ the most important thought that they have? There is only one reason: to annoy the reader. This is inconsistent. Again, other writers do a better job handling secrecy for the sake of surprise.

Style: the dialect and weird terminology are cute in the beginning, but after 600 pages they really get on my nerves. How many times can other people read "will it do ya fine" without curling their toes in frustration, I wonder?

Mystery: why is nothing ever explained properly? All the references to 20th century words and technologies, the symbols, the number 19... Everything is a mystery just for the sake of creating mystery. It's all smoke and mirrors. There is no explanation, no purpose. Mystery without resolution is unsatisfactory.

Sorry, I will stop reading the series here. The previous volumes were not as bad as this one. But I don't want to go through another of these ordeals. This is clearly the work of an author who has no idea where he is going, and just makes it up as he goes along.

I gave 2 stars instead of 1 because I did actually finish the book.

b_minergal's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced

FINALLY, this is the Dark Tower book I've been wanting. It's a multi-verse fan's dream. Plenty of action, stellar characters, mystery... even a Harry Potter reference! Who would have guessed? I loved every second of this.

bigpatcampbell's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark sad tense medium-paced

ishara's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

finneasty's review against another edition

1.5

Stopped me dead in my tracks on the whole Dark Tower series.

masonrobertsdge's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious sad tense slow-paced