The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin

yjjphy's review against another edition

adventurous dark inspiring tense medium-paced

dallasfangmann's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious reflective slow-paced

alanadeluca's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

wckedmara's review against another edition

My poor ruined heart! This read was long overdue. Keeping in mind the decade in which she wrote this, Ursula did an amazing job conveying feelings of gender acceptance. The sci fi setting was fantastic and clear, lonely and frightening. Full of love and loneliness!

darious's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious medium-paced

mattsimms's review against another edition

I was kind of distracted listening to it on audiobook so I don't think it hit as hard

grumpymostly's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

helloiammikki's review against another edition

challenging reflective slow-paced

I am not sure how to rate this. Objectively, in terms of literary quality, I know this is a good book. It just wasn't for me. To be honest, I feel it's being falsely advertised. This is the back cover synopsis:

"'Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new'

Two people, until recently strangers, find themselves on a long, tortuous and dangerous journey across the ice. One is an outcast, forced to leave his beloved homeland; the other is fleeing from a different kind of persecution. What they have in common is curiosity, about others and themselves, and an almost unshakeable belief that the world can be a better place.

As they journey for over 800 miles, across the harshest, most inhospitable landscape, they discover the true meaning of friendship, and of love."

Now, without being too spoilery, this is only *maybe* 10% of the entire book. It is by far not the entire story, nor the focus of the story. 60% of the book is world building and character building (I know because I checked when I reached the part where the story moves on to a more plot-based storyline). That first 60% is basically just politics and learning very theoretically about an alien culture. After that, it becomes an, again very theoretical, recounting of events. This made it very hard for me to immerse myself in the story, and I had a hard time relating to the characters. And when I say 'relate', I don't mean on a personal level, but just generally see these characters as more than words on a page.

I understand why this novel is so critically acclaimed, but it is not what it is made out to be on the cover, which is disappointing, and also means it probably doesn't attract the right audience from those who don't already know what the book is about. Rating it 3.5‚≠ź as a compromise between my 2.75‚≠ź reading experience and the 4.5‚≠ź literary quality.

ceciliarmo's review against another edition

Incrível!!! Adorei a história e a forma como ela foi escrita, consigo ver como ela influenciou vários livros de ficção depois dos anos 70. Quando eu comecei a ler eu já sabia que o livro era reconhecido por abordar o tema de gênero e explorar isso dentro da fantasia, mas minha parte favorita foi quão existencialista a conversa se tornou (o que sempre é minha parte favorita em livros assim). Amei como a autora descreveu esse tipo de ficção:

‚ÄúIsso talvez explique por que muitas pessoas que n√£o leem fic√ß√£o cient√≠fica a descrevam como 'escapismo', mas, quando questionadas mais a fundo, admitem que n√£o leem fic√ß√£o cient√≠fica porque '√© muito deprimente'.‚ÄĚ

E no livro isso fica muito claro quando essa conversa acontece:

‚Äú- Sua ra√ßa est√° espantosamente sozinha em seu planeta. Nenhuma outra esp√©cie mam√≠fera. Nenhuma outra esp√©cie ambissexual. Nenhum animal inteligente o bastante, nem mesmo para ser domesticado como bicho de estima√ß√£o. Isso deve dar outra cor a suas ideias, essa singula-ridade. N√£o quero dizer apenas ideias cient√≠ficas, embora voc√™s sejam extraordin√°rios formuladores de hip√≥teses. √Č extraordin√°rio voc√™s terem chegado ao conceito de evolu√ß√£o, diante da lacuna que os separa dos animais inferiores. Quero dizer filosoficamente, emocionalmente:
serem t√£o solit√°rios, num mundo t√£o hostil. Deve afetar toda a sua perspectiva.‚ÄĚ

Com certeza j√° entrou pra lista das minhas fic√ß√Ķes cient√≠ficas favoritas junto com Matadouro 5 e Guia do Mochileiro das Gal√°xias!!

ldebbo's review against another edition

dark reflective medium-paced