Reviews tagging 'Injury/Injury detail'

A Photo Finish by Elsie Silver

lunahale's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted reflective slow-paced

AHHH I LOVE THEM!!!!

yoohanna's review against another edition

emotional relaxing medium-paced

marianaribeiro's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

hapalyn's review against another edition

I found myself really frustrated with the way the characters acted in this book. I think the entire nude plotline was just icky. I didn't like reading about it in detail, and it made me look at the MMC weird, honestly. Power to whoever enjoyed this, it was not for me.

Secondly, I did enjoy the MMC's exploration and growth in his clear anxiety, PTSD, possible OCD? It's refreshing to see characters with mental illness, it's refreshing to see them struggle and overcome, I enjoy seeing representation like this. HOWEVER, I did not like the 3rd act breakup in relationship to his mental illness.
-> for those curious, I'll elaborate but keep in mind it's "spoilery": The MMC has PTSD from watching his jockey dad fall off a horse and die during a race AND he had his leg blown off in Iraq during a deployment. So, he's clearly got complex trauma going on stemming from teenage years. This isn't even mentioning the trauma he's handled from returning from deployment(!!!!). And for the 3rd act breakup, we have the FMC and him at odds over her CAREER as a jockey. Like, YES, it's going to be natural for him to be anxious, stressed, and triggered all because of her job. That's OKAY! She wasn't, in my opinion, at all understanding of it. It was like a "Oh, well that sucks! Get over it!". The fact that she said "Why did you fall in love with me then" ???? HELLO? 1) as if love is a choice + 2) you can't even be slightly empathetic? you can't work him through this?. I understand that you aren't your partner's therapist, but she professes to love him + when you love your partner you work with them. She knows he's in therapy, she could have been with him as he worked through this complex problem. He even admits that he loves her and wants to do better for her, he's NOT stupid. She gives him an ULTIMATUM of TWO WEEKS to figure out if he "wants to get better". HE ALREADY SAID HE DID? And then she abandons him while he "figures it out". I'm appalled. Then we get his POV where he's like "oh my gosh... I was selfish because I told her I can't be with her because of her job...". He never even asked her to quit, he just said he couldn't be with her and then later on said he DOES and he wants to get better. TWO WEEKS is not a realistic time period to heal decades of trauma, and I think that portraying it as a simple fix is a disservice to people with complex trauma. He also clearly had more going on than just his PTSD, so I don't understand.
It literally would have been MORE preferable to have a 3rd act breakup revolving around miscommunication involving his ex-fiance.

It's kind of exhausting to see two characters that are clearly complex and multi-faceted, yet they are so simply stupid in ways that make no sense to their characters. And, believe me, the MMC is not perfect. I'm sick of the 10 year age gap (26 and 36, it's really not crazy? she's got a developed brain, and it's irritating that women can never make their own choices and decisions without it being made into this shit show) and the MMC going "oh wah wah she's so young.. I'm so old." SIR, you are in your THIRTIES. Calm down. But the fact that there's so much said about how she's "small" and "tiny" and she's got to take less of a pill dosage  because of her "child-sized" body. It's just so frustrating. I hate when we have women clearly in their mid-late twenties acting like teenagers and men acting like they're scandalizing grown women? It's just ridiculous and gives implication that women are unable to be portrayed as what they are: ADULTS. We can stop with the tiny child-like girl, huge "masculine" guy trope.

A lot of the men in this series just aren't it. I think Cole's mental illness was so wonderfully portrayed up until the ending, but otherwise he was just too "I'm way too old... oh no". It ruined it for me. Vaughn was just as bland as he was in his own novel, talk about a man with 0 personality. Stefan was kind of weird... but I'm hoping his own book is good. I'm looking forward to it despite being let down by the other books in this series (which is disappointing because I liked 4/5 of the Chestnut Springs novels).

With all of the negativity out of the way, here's what I did like (despite the negative overshadowing it all UGH!): I enjoy Billie's character being fleshed out more, I think there was a lot in her book that just wasn't true to her towards the end. She felt like a strong woman throughout this book, and I enjoyed how she acted. I liked the horses, surprisingly for me, and I liked Mira as a character. Violet was okay, I think she was just not empathetic whatsoever which made me dislike her a lot. Billie proved, once again, to be the only person with a brain.

2 stars. Would have been 3-4 if the 3rd act breakup wasn't as atrocious as it was. There's a myriad of ways it could have been handled better OR just not been a break-up altogether. Once again, super frustrated with how it was implied that we can't work through flaws/issues while being in a relationship - just sooo unrealistic in today's dating culture.

ericasbooklog's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

dkgreads's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring medium-paced

I’m quickly becoming addicted to Elsie Silver’s writing! I love her characters so much! Cole totally pulled at my heartstrings and Violet was such an inspiration. And I’m still pretty stoked about finding an equestrian based series that actually gets the horse part right!

jlkeasler's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

apolen's review against another edition

adventurous emotional

afi_whatafireads's review against another edition

dark emotional lighthearted reflective fast-paced

This book was Draggy AF ngl. There were times I SINCERELY WISHED that some monologues would be cut down . Like significantly shorter....

But the more I think about it, the more I felt that this book is more than just a romance book. It has a very serious representation for Anxiety, PTSD, Depression, Imposter-Syndrome to a point that, the spiralling felt annoying to be in the head of someone like that... but its definitely ... very very real. So, shoutout to Elsie Silver for writing this story. I feel that its very different from the rest of her books, but I also liked that she made Cole, the male lead to be this way, and showing that, mental health issues doesn't just go away when you're in love, or fell in love with someone, its wether you want to figure the shit out together enough with the person and work through your issues, whatever they may be.

“But light is tricky. It slips through your fingers. It’s fleeting. It comes and goes. We never get to possess it; you can’t hold it in your hand. We just get to enjoy it. And if you can figure out a way to just let go and enjoy it, well, Cole, you’ll be one of the lucky ones.”

Firstly reading about Cole will give you whiplash. You'll either want to choke him or love him, and when the actual reason about him being the way he is came out..... Honestly it all made sense, and that's when I kinda get why he is the way he is, and why his monologues are the way they are. You'll realize while reading the book, Cole's chapters are significantly longer, and there are a few times that you'll feel like DNF-ing the book, but honestly, just power through and towards the end, I actually teared up. Realities for PTSD patients are hard, but what I love about Cole is how he is open about going to therapy and that he TRIES HIS VERY BEST to work on his problems.

With this book, I liked Violet and Cole's dynamics. Violet is a character that I'm a bit 50-50 cause she can be a bit bratty sometimes, but in some sense, I also do get why she is like that (due to her brothers from Chestnut Springs series hehe); but what stands out most for Violet's character is how she handled Cole and how she fought for their relationship to the end.

“I know you see yourself as dark. But you aren’t. You’re swirling color, all different shades, a mosaic. You’re complicated and beautiful. And I’m not quitting on you, so you better not quit on me.”

In some ways, the complications for a person like Cole to be a relationship is very real. In a sense that it can get tiring and overwhelming for their partners, and I liked that she didn't want Cole to change for the better, but just to love himself enough to fight for their relationship. That to me... is something. Because at the end of the day, you can never change a person entirely, but would they be willing to fight for whats worth with you is the most important.

This book is definitely not for everyone. It has very vivid explanations of anxiety-spiraling, panic attacks and also deaths but its also one that I will cherish for myself. Its a book on knowing your worth and trying to overcome your demons to escape the loneliness that comes with it.

4.5🌟 for this one

sarahball47's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring slow-paced

I love Violet. So glad I came to read this series after Chestnut Springs. Can’t wait to read the rest!