Vengeful, by V.E. Schwab

colorless94's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny fast-paced

bookish_nerdy_jess's review against another edition

Loved this book! I like how the author just keeps you on the edge of your seat and keeps you questioning who to root for.

bookwirmmadi's review against another edition

Back at it again with the wickedly witty, flawlessly fast-paced, and viciously villainous excellence that is V.E. Schwab’s ‘Villains’ series. I loved ‘Vicious’ and ‘Vengeful’ brought everything I was excited for and more.

First off, the ✨WOMEN✨ in ‘Vengeful.’ Pwhoa. Everybody go home, Schwab is the only person I will trust to write a femme fatale ever again. I was obsessed with Serena in book one and now we get Marcella and June in book two and they’re SO COOL. Sydney is still my favourite character and I love seeing her get darker as she grows up. Girl is Victor Vale’s surrogate child through and through. I was expecting to see a little more interaction between Victor and Eli, but I suppose this book was intended to focus more on their vengeance simmering away following the boiling point of ‘Vicious’’s ending.

Onto more technical stuff. Non-linear stories aren’t for everyone and can get confusing at times, but I personally can’t get enough of all the puzzles in ‘Villains.’ Schwab, once again, adorns every facet of ‘Vengeful’ with mystery, and crafts the answers so cleverly so that you HAVE to keep turning the pages. I love the divergence from the stock-standard “hero’s journey” and the way these books operate in the grey area of morality. There are no “goodies” or “baddies;” no simplicity, and I think that’s what makes ‘Villains’ stand out.

Give these books a go if you’re a superhero buff, like found-family tropes, and don’t mind your values being thrown into question by loveable characters who could easily kill you. (Warning: self-harm, mentions of suicide, murder, violence, death).

Madi

neeneysha's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

dreamwavebooks's review against another edition

3.5*

This was good, but I didn't love it as much as Vicious. There was just too many characters and too many timelines to follow and that irritated me. I didn't care about June or Marcella one bit and their chapters bore me. But still, V. E. Schwab's writing is obviously really good.

dazyden's review against another edition

If Vicious broke me out of a reading slump Vengeful put me back in one - just stop after the first book it’s not worth it

karenmassey's review against another edition

This was good but not great, falling victim to the things that most sequels do. The story dragged a bit in the middle and didn’t have the same fast-paced energy as Vicious. Introducing new characters is fun, but not when they take away from the original characters getting any time to grow. Victor and Eli went from being cool antihero enemies to almost pointless characters. I’m disappointed, but I did have fun. (maybe like 2.5 stars)

rubeusbeaky's review against another edition

An absolutely stunning sequel. The back cover spoiled for me that there would be new protagonists, and I thought the shift wouldn't live up to the rivalry between Eli and Victor in the first book. Boy, was I wrong! The new additions are a welcome, strong, deliciously scary team. "He'll hath no fury like a woman scorned."
The mechanic V.E. Schwab uses, of counting down to the moment when all the characters collide, is beautifully done. My heart was in my throat the whole book!

summerr_winterr's review against another edition

Both the characters and the plot were beautifully crafted and we'll thought out and I feel like there is a possibility for another book and I'm down for that.

rouge_mary's review against another edition

This masterpiece deserves a MILLION stars!!!❤️